* The NGN system offers key convergent multimedia services using a shared network characterized by several essential elements:
- A unique and shared core network for all types of access and services.
- A core network architecture divided into three layers: Transport, Control and Services.
- Development of packet mode transport (IP flow transport in native IP, or on ATM in the short term with a progressive convergence to IP).
- Open and standardized interfaces between each layer, and in particular for the Control and Services layers in order to allow third parties to develop and create services independent of the network.
- Support for multiple applications (multimedia, real-time, transactional, total mobility) adaptable to the user and growing and varied capacities of access networks and terminals. * [Adapted from Moving towards the Next Generation Networks (NGN)]