erlangA unit of measurement of traffic density in a telecommunications system. The erlang describes the total traffic volume of one hour, or 3600 seconds.
For example, 60 calls in one hour, each lasting 5 minutes, results in the following number of erlangs:
minutes of traffic in the hour = number of calls x duration
minutes of traffic in the hour = 60 x 5
minutes if traffic in the hour = 300
hours of traffic in the hour = 300/60
hours of traffic in the hour = 5
traffic figure = 5 erlangs
Network designers use the erlang to understand traffic patterns within a voice network and use the figures to determine how many lines are required between a telephone system and a central office or between network locations.
Erlang calculations are further broken down as follows:
- Erlang B -- the most commonly used traffic model. Erlang B is used to work out how many lines are required if the traffic figure during the busiest hour is known. This model assumes that all blocked calls are cleared immediately.
- Extended Erlang B -- similar to Erlang B, this model can be used to factor in the number of calls that are blocked and immediately tried again.
- Erlang C -- this model assumes that all blocked calls are queued in the system until they can be handled. Call centers can use this calculation to determine how many call agents to staff, based on the number of calls per hour, the average duration of class and the amount of time calls are left in the queue.
From the widest view, everything that we include under the heading of mobile has irrevocably changed IT's relationship with the rest of the... Read More »Choosing an Enterprise Storage Implementation
When you deploy a new enterprise storage system, you must decide whether to design and build your own storage system or to utilize a cloud-based... Read More »Big Data Analytics Expert Predictions
In this Webopedia Did You Know...? article we look at three big data expert predictions for 2014. Read More »
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »Enterprise Storage Vendors
There's a number of vendors that sell enterprise storage hardware or offer cloud-based enterprise storage. View Webopedia's Enterprise storage... Read More »50 Cloud Computing Terms Defined
From planning a private cloud project to finding an online cloud storage provider, Webopedia's A-Z Cloud Computing Glossary will help you... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Enterprise Mobility Exchange results show continued growth and emphasis on mobility. CIOInsight breaks down the numbers here. »
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »