ESB - Enterprise Service Bus
Short for Enterprise Service Bus, also referred to as a message broker. ESB is an open standards-based distributed synchronous or asynchronous messaging middleware that provides secure interoperability between enterprise applications via XML, Web services interfaces and standardized rules-based routing of documents.
In practice, this means that data files are passed to and from their destinations based on established guidelines that are common to all parties sharing the information to ensure that the data maintains its integrity as it is routed. The multi-language and multi-platform design of an ESB allows enterprises to process data between applications from various sources. Two common distributed computing architectures used by ESBs are J2EE and .NET.
ESB is an extension of EAI, an earlier form of middleware, but ESB adds several key functions:
- transformation: The ability to transform XML documents from one data format into another so that the receiving party can interface with the data in an application format that is different from the one in which it is sent.
- portability: The ability to share the data between different computer systems and operating environments.
- load balancing/clustering: The ability to distribute processing among several devices so that no one device becomes overloaded
- failover: The ability to transfer messaging functions to another server if one should fail during the data exchange.
Sonic ESB, Cape Clear Server and PolarLake Jintegrator are examples of commercial ESB products.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »
The following compilation of small business marketing tips highlights some of the expert advice published over at Small Business Computing. Read More »Taking Ownership through Digital Governance
Taking ownership of our own misjudgments or simple forgetfulness takes a healthy amount of humility and some honest self-assessment. Yet sometimes... Read More »Have We Become a World of Addicts?
It's hard to imagine our lives without smartphones. But people who suffer separation anxiety when they don't have their phones nearby may be in... Read More »
With cost and security in mind, we look at five cloud storage options that will suit the needs of most home and SMB owners. Read More »Windows 10 Tips for Desktop PC
Five basic tips to help you customize Windows 10 on your desktop PC. Read More »29 Free Android Apps for Cash-Strapped Students
From wacky alarm clocks to lecture hall tools and after class entertainment, these Android apps are a good fit for a student's life and budget. Read More »