SS7Short for Signaling System 7, a telecommunications protocol defined by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) as a way to offload PSTN data traffic congestion onto a wireless or wireline digital broadband network.
SS7 is characterized by high-speed circuit switching and out-of-band signaling using Service Switching (SSPs), Signal Transfer Points (STPs), and Service Control Points (SCPs) (collectively referred to as signaling points, or SS7 nodes). Out-of-band signaling is signaling that does not take place over the same path as the data transfer (or conversation)--a separate digital channel is created (called a signaling link), where messages are exchanged between network elements at 56 or 64 kilobit per second.
SS7 architecture is set up in a way so that any node could exchange signaling with any other SS7-capable node, not just signaling between switches that are directly connected.
The SS7 network and protocol are used for:
- basic call setup, management, and tear down
- wireless services such as personal communications services (PCS), wireless roaming, and mobile subscriber authentication
- local number portability (LNP)
- toll-free (800/888) and toll (900) wireline services
- enhanced call features such as call forwarding, calling party name/number display, and three-way calling
- efficient and secure worldwide telecommunications
Because nothing says "I Love You" Like an open source app. Read More »Guarding your Data against Cyber Attacks
In this new era of heightened stakes comes an increased need for a comprehensive security strategy. Let's take a look at how cyber-threats have... Read More »The Great Data Storage Debate: Is Tape Dead?
Tape clearly is on the decline. But remember, legacy systems can hang for a shockingly long time. Read More »
A network is a group of two or more computer systems or devices, linked together to share resources, exchange files and electronic communications.... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »Webopedia Polls
The trend for the past two years has been for shoppers to spend more online during the holiday season. How do you typically shop for holiday... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »