redirect(1) In e-mail, a redirect is an option found in e-mail clients that is similar to a forward, with the exception that the body of the text is not normally shown as quoted text. Additionally the From (or) Sender field will show the e-mail address of the original sender, and in brackets it will show your information. For example if you received the e-mail from "firstname.lastname@example.org" and your e-mail address is "email@example.com", when you redirect this e-mail to another recipient, the From (or) Sender information might read something like this:
From: firstname.lastname@example.org ( by way of "Your Name" <email@example.com> )
(2) Redirect also refers to a Web server function where an old URL can be redirected to a new one. There are a series of redirect HTTP response codes that a server can return, including the following:
- 301: (permanent) Returns a permanent redirect status indicating that the resource has moved permanently.
- 302: (temp) Returns a temporary redirect status. This is the default.
- 303: (seeother) Returns a "See Other" status indicating that the resource has been replaced.
- 410: (gone) Indicates that the resource has been replaced.
If hackers get their hands on your company's data, they can wreak havoc on customer relationships and cause tremendous damage to your brand and... Read More »Windows XP: Move Along, There's Nothing to See Here
After more than 12 years of holding the title of most popular operating system in the world, Windows XP is taking center stage for its final... Read More »Report: The Role of Big Data in the Marketing Industry
According to a new study from Infogroup Targeting Solutions, we can expect to see companies spend heavily on big data marketing initiatives in... Read More »
Although it is almost impossible to keep up with the pace of ongoing product releases, here are three recent highlights in the flash data storage... Read More »15 Important Big Data Facts for IT Professionals
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »Enterprise Storage Vendors
There's a number of vendors that sell enterprise storage hardware or offer cloud-based enterprise storage. View Webopedia's Enterprise storage... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Check out eWeek's new Research Center, a central and comprehensive library of whitepapers, eBooks, eseminars, webcasts, and more from top industry brands and independent tech journalists »
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »