redirect(1) In e-mail, a redirect is an option found in e-mail clients that is similar to a forward, with the exception that the body of the text is not normally shown as quoted text. Additionally the From (or) Sender field will show the e-mail address of the original sender, and in brackets it will show your information. For example if you received the e-mail from "firstname.lastname@example.org" and your e-mail address is "email@example.com", when you redirect this e-mail to another recipient, the From (or) Sender information might read something like this:
From: firstname.lastname@example.org ( by way of "Your Name" <email@example.com> )
(2) Redirect also refers to a Web server function where an old URL can be redirected to a new one. There are a series of redirect HTTP response codes that a server can return, including the following:
- 301: (permanent) Returns a permanent redirect status indicating that the resource has moved permanently.
- 302: (temp) Returns a temporary redirect status. This is the default.
- 303: (seeother) Returns a "See Other" status indicating that the resource has been replaced.
- 410: (gone) Indicates that the resource has been replaced.
The future remains, well, cloudy. But either way: Amazon, look out. Microsoft is gaining fast. Read More »Hype Versus Action in the Developer's World
Often times technologies start as hype but with time become adopted. As a developer or technologist, it is worth reading the hype and knowing the... Read More »Microsoft Hyper-V Network Virtualization Q&A
The top 5 Hyper-V questions with answers provided by Nirmal Sharma, a MCSEx3, MCITP and Microsoft MVP in Directory Services. Read More »
This Webopedia guide will show you how to create a desktop shortcut to a website using Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer (IE). Read More »Flash Data Storage Vendor Trends
Although it is almost impossible to keep up with the pace of ongoing product releases, here are three recent highlights in the flash data storage... Read More »15 Important Big Data Facts for IT Professionals
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »