redirect(1) In e-mail, a redirect is an option found in e-mail clients that is similar to a forward, with the exception that the body of the text is not normally shown as quoted text. Additionally the From (or) Sender field will show the e-mail address of the original sender, and in brackets it will show your information. For example if you received the e-mail from "firstname.lastname@example.org" and your e-mail address is "email@example.com", when you redirect this e-mail to another recipient, the From (or) Sender information might read something like this:
From: firstname.lastname@example.org ( by way of "Your Name" <email@example.com> )
(2) Redirect also refers to a Web server function where an old URL can be redirected to a new one. There are a series of redirect HTTP response codes that a server can return, including the following:
- 301: (permanent) Returns a permanent redirect status indicating that the resource has moved permanently.
- 302: (temp) Returns a temporary redirect status. This is the default.
- 303: (seeother) Returns a "See Other" status indicating that the resource has been replaced.
- 410: (gone) Indicates that the resource has been replaced.
Learn about each of the five generations of computers and major technology developments that have led to the current devices that we use today. Read More »Small Business Marketing's Greatest Hits
The following compilation of small business marketing tips highlights some of the expert advice published over at Small Business Computing. Read More »13 Best Free Android Apps
From secure messaging to document editing, our top free must-have apps have been rated, reviewed and named the best free Android apps of 2015. Read More »
With cost and security in mind, we look at five cloud storage options that will suit the needs of most home and SMB owners. Read More »Windows 10 Tips for Desktop PC
Five basic tips to help you customize Windows 10 on your desktop PC. Read More »29 Free Android Apps for Cash-Strapped Students
From wacky alarm clocks to lecture hall tools and after class entertainment, these Android apps are a good fit for a student's life and budget. Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »