redirect(1) In e-mail, a redirect is an option found in e-mail clients that is similar to a forward, with the exception that the body of the text is not normally shown as quoted text. Additionally the From (or) Sender field will show the e-mail address of the original sender, and in brackets it will show your information. For example if you received the e-mail from "email@example.com" and your e-mail address is "firstname.lastname@example.org", when you redirect this e-mail to another recipient, the From (or) Sender information might read something like this:
From: email@example.com ( by way of "Your Name" <firstname.lastname@example.org> )
(2) Redirect also refers to a Web server function where an old URL can be redirected to a new one. There are a series of redirect HTTP response codes that a server can return, including the following:
- 301: (permanent) Returns a permanent redirect status indicating that the resource has moved permanently.
- 302: (temp) Returns a temporary redirect status. This is the default.
- 303: (seeother) Returns a "See Other" status indicating that the resource has been replaced.
- 410: (gone) Indicates that the resource has been replaced.
To make the IoT both work and pay off, IT is juggling upgrading and building app-centric networks, mapping out new data center architectures and... Read More »What You Don't Read Can Hurt You
Does this sound familiar? An online service promises to help your small business cut costs, increase productivity, make your coffee and walk your... Read More »Who's Moving Ahead in Cloud Computing?
The future remains, well, cloudy. But either way: Amazon, look out. Microsoft is gaining fast. Read More »
The trend for the past two years has been for shoppers to spend more online during the holiday season. How do you typically shop for holiday... Read More »How to Create a Desktop Shortcut to a Website
This Webopedia guide will show you how to create a desktop shortcut to a website using Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer (IE). Read More »Flash Data Storage Vendor Trends
Although it is almost impossible to keep up with the pace of ongoing product releases, here are three recent highlights in the flash data storage... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »