redirect(1) In e-mail, a redirect is an option found in e-mail clients that is similar to a forward, with the exception that the body of the text is not normally shown as quoted text. Additionally the From (or) Sender field will show the e-mail address of the original sender, and in brackets it will show your information. For example if you received the e-mail from "email@example.com" and your e-mail address is "firstname.lastname@example.org", when you redirect this e-mail to another recipient, the From (or) Sender information might read something like this:
From: email@example.com ( by way of "Your Name" <firstname.lastname@example.org> )
(2) Redirect also refers to a Web server function where an old URL can be redirected to a new one. There are a series of redirect HTTP response codes that a server can return, including the following:
- 301: (permanent) Returns a permanent redirect status indicating that the resource has moved permanently.
- 302: (temp) Returns a temporary redirect status. This is the default.
- 303: (seeother) Returns a "See Other" status indicating that the resource has been replaced.
- 410: (gone) Indicates that the resource has been replaced.
Because nothing says "I Love You" Like an open source app. Read More »Guarding your Data against Cyber Attacks
In this new era of heightened stakes comes an increased need for a comprehensive security strategy. Let's take a look at how cyber-threats have... Read More »The Great Data Storage Debate: Is Tape Dead?
Tape clearly is on the decline. But remember, legacy systems can hang for a shockingly long time. Read More »
A network is a group of two or more computer systems or devices, linked together to share resources, exchange files and electronic communications.... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »Webopedia Polls
The trend for the past two years has been for shoppers to spend more online during the holiday season. How do you typically shop for holiday... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »