Cyber Definition & Meaning
Cyber is a prefix that denotes a relationship with information technology (IT). Anything relating to computing, such as the internet, falls under the cyber category. It's worth noting cyber carries a connotation of a relationship with modern computing and technology. For example, early computing from the 1980s and 1990s does not typically attract the term cyber.
In the late 1940s, the term cybernetics was coined by mathematician Norbert Wiener. It's defined as the study of control systems and communication between people and machines. Weiner used the ancient Greek word cyber, which is related to the idea of governing. In Weiner's book, Cybernetics, he describes a computer system that ran on feedback—essentially a self-governing system. This idea was groundbreaking for the 1940s.
Common cyber words
Cyber is typically used as the prefix of a compound word. Like many compound nouns, those featuring cyber can be written as one word (cyberspace), as two words (cyber space) or as a hyphenated word (cyber-space). For consistency, all examples will be one word. Commonly used cyber terms include:
- Cyberspace: A metaphor for describing the non-physical terrain created by computer systems.
- Cybersecurity: The technologies and processes designed to protect computers, networks, and data from unauthorized access, vulnerabilities, and attacks delivered via the internet by cybercriminals.
- Cybercrime: Any crime carried out using IT or which targets IT.
- Cyberattack: The unauthorized access of private or confidential information contained on a computer system or network.
- Cyberbullying: Any form of online harassment.
- Cyberforensics: The application of scientifically proven methods to gather, process, interpret, and use digital evidence to provide a conclusive description of cybercrime activities.
- Cybernetics: The science of communications and automatic control systems in both machines and living things.
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
From A3 to ZZZ we list 1,559 text message and online chat abbreviations to help you translate and understand today's texting lingo. Includes Top... Read More »Huge List of Computer Certifications
Have you heard about a computer certification program but can't figure out if it's right for you? Use this handy list to help you decide. Read More »
Computer architecture provides an introduction to system design basics for most computer science students. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
Networking fundamentals teaches the building blocks of modern network design. Learn different types of networks, concepts, architecture and... Read More »The Five Generations of Computers
Learn about each of the five generations of computers and major technology developments that have led to the computing devices that we use... Read More »