Security orchestration, automation, and response (SOAR) is a threat management strategy that identifies security threats against organizations and responds to them automatically using a set of software and tools. A well-organized SOAR strategy reduces the security risk to organizations by automating responses to identified security threats in three key operational areas.
- Security Orchestration: The process of connecting and integrating security tools and systems across the enterprise to mitigate security threats.
- Security Automation: The process of automating security tasks such as vulnerability scanning and log searching to remove human error that can arise in collecting and reporting data.
- Incident Response: Using a blend of human and ML capabilities to analyze the collected data, assessing its severity, and executing incident response actions.
Why do businesses need SOAR?
The SOAR strategy allows companies of all sizes ranging from finance and technology to government and non-profit organizations to align multiple security tools and technologies to collect data, review it within the larger context, then respond to those threats quickly.
Key features of SOAR
- Threat intelligence: Threat intelligence plays an effective role in minimizing risks and organizing quick incident responses.
- Vulnerability management: SOAR seeks to identify the most vulnerable areas of an organization’s tech infrastructure security threats by using a vulnerability scanner. With this comprehensive vulnerability picture, organizations can prioritize improvement measures.
- Integrations: The SOAR strategy is easier to achieve when security tools support integration with a wide range of security tools such as cloud security, data enrichment, and email security.
- Automation: Automation replaces repetitive analysis and reporting, consolidating security-related data for clearer visibility on system health, and more actionable insights.
What are its key benefits?
- Reduced cyber security threats: SOAR platforms reduce the risk of security threats by identifying them before it attacks the system.
- Automation of security tasks: Robust integrations with security tools automates most common security tasks to reduce the burden of security teams of an organization.
- Faster threat response: SOAR helps organizations respond more quickly to security threats by giving the security team more comprehensive situational awareness.
- Enhanced collaboration: Because multiple security systems are linked, SOAR ensures the collaboration of all team members to improve the efficiency and productivity of businesses.