Pycharm is a dedicated and cross-platform integrated development environment (IDE) for the Python programming language. It incorporates a wide range of unique features and tools that make for efficiency and convenience in Python programming, data science, and web development. PyCharm supports both Python 2 (2.7) and Python 3 (3.5 and above) versions and is compatible with Windows, macOS, and Linux.
Pycharm is highly customizable. Users can customize the user interface (UI), or expand the IDE by choosing from over 50 plugins.
Features of Pycharm
Pycharm offers unique suites of features that make it stand out among other Python-oriented IDEs like Eclipse, PyDev, and Komodo IDE. That’s perhaps why it’s popular with all types of Python developers, from low-level to professionals. Highlights of its features include but are not limited to:
- Excellent code analysis and assistance through smart code inspection and completion, on-the-fly syntax and error highlighting, quick fixes, etc.
- Great code and project navigation capabilities with specialized file structure as well as project views. With this feature, you can easily jump between files, classes, methods, and usage without hassles.
- Automated code refractory ensures the changes you make in a specific code line get implemented throughout the project. For instance, renaming a variable, renaming a class, introducing a variable or a constant, renaming a file, etc.
- Integrated debugger allows you to execute step-by-step debugging even right into external libraries.
- Unit test integration with line-by-line code coverage.
- SCM integration (SVN/GIT) and PEP8 base check come in handy when you’re developing a big application requiring git integration and PEP8 standard confirmation.
- Data science and machine learning capabilities: Pycharm supports science libraries like Numpy, Matplotlib, and Scripy, which Python developers can leverage to execute machine learning and data science projects. However, this feature is available only on the professional edition.
- Pycharm supports popular web frameworks like Django and other Python frameworks, including Pyramid, Flask, and web2py.
Benefits of Pycharm
Over time, Python has become the favorite programming language for most software developers and programmers. The reason is that it makes it easier to build applications with short, clean, and readable code. Leveraging IDEs significantly reduces the workload for developers and accelerates custom software application development. Pycharm is the go-to IDE for an average Python developer. Its numerous great features, plugins, shortcuts enhance productivity by facilitating faster code development. Other benefits you get to enjoy using Pycharm are:
- High-efficiency code delivery
- Excellent community support
- Great ease of usage
- Straightforward installation process and more.