FWaaS is increasingly seen as a part of solutions like secure access service edge (SASE) and zero trust network access (ZTNA). FWaaS offerings mean organizations can easily manage deployment and policy enforcement from a web-based user interface like other SaaS solutions. Clients can purchase advanced firewall capabilities alone or as a comprehensive security solution.
In this definition...
What is Firewall as a Service (FWaaS)?
Firewall as a Service (FWaaS) is a cloud-deployed and software-based cyber security tool offering traditional and next-generation firewall (NGFW) capabilities to organizations for traffic inspection and threat protection. FWaaS solutions are increasingly necessary for organizations with hybrid cloud infrastructure to protect applications and data.
- Cloud-based service offering flexibility in contracting, scalability, and managed services
- Advanced threat prevention using the latest anti-virus, anti-spam, and phishing detection
- Access control includes allowing listing and deny listing for specific IP address
- Visibility and protection into traffic up to the application layer (L7)
- Central management and policy enforcement for cloud network traffic
- Seamless deployment, configuration management, and ongoing maintenance
- High availability through cloud service providers redundancy, meaning consistent uptime
Also read: Top Next-Generation Firewall (NGFW) Vendors for 2022 | eSecurity Planet
FWaaS vs. Traditional Firewalls
Firewalls as a Service have many of the same features that modern on-premises and virtual firewalls offer for managing traffic flow between internal and outside networks. Stateful firewall features shared by FWaaS and traditional firewalls include network monitoring, packet filtering, Internet Protocol security (IPsec), IP mapping features, and support for secure sockets layer virtual private network (SSL VPN).
Relative to the universe of traditional firewalls – including a long list of legacy physical appliances – FWaaS solutions offer the latest firewall and cloud security features needed to protect hybrid environments. The recent development and software-based nature of FWaaS make it a flexible and advanced choice.
Top FWaaS Vendors
Read more: Top Web Application Firewall (WAF) Solutions for 2022 | eSecurity Planet
- FWaaS: The Future of Network Firewalls? | eSecurity Planet
- Perimeter 81 launches new Firewall-as-a-Service offering | TechRepublic
- Best Firewall Software for Enterprise Networks 2021 | Enterprise Networking Planet
- What are Network Firewalls? | eSecurity Planet
- How SASE with Zero Trust Framework Secures Remote Workers | eWeek
- How to Implement Microsegmentation | eSecurity Planet
- Types of Firewalls Explained | eSecurity Planet
- Advantages of SASE over Traditional VPNs | Baseline Mag
- Cloudflare introduces SD-WAN and FWaaS offerings | TechRepublic
- Palo Alto Networks Enables Service Providers to Fast Track Managed SD-WAN and SASE | eWeek