RUP - Rational Unified Process
Short for Rational Unified Process, a software development methodology from Rational. Based on UML, RUP organizes the development of software into four phases, each consisting of one or more executable iterations of the software at that stage of development.
- inception-- In this stage, the project��s business case is stated and the team decides if the project is worth doing or if it is even possible. It is important to the process to first formulate the scope of the project and also determine what resources will be needed.
- elaboration -- In this stage, the developers take a closer look at the project to determine its architecturefoundation and to evaluate the architecture in relation to the project. This stage is important to the RUP because it is here that developers analyze the risks associated with changing the scope of the project or adding new technologies along the way.
- construction-- In this stage, the development of the project is completed. The application design is finished and the source code is written. It is in this stage that the software is tested to determine if the project has met its goal laid out in the inception phase.
- transition -- In this stage, any fine-tuning is performed. Any final adjustments can be based on user feedback, usability or installation issues.
RUP is similar in concept to Extreme Programming in that only what is useful and required is produced and the development plan is updated throughout the process. Both methods seek to develop a system of best practices in software development.
The future remains, well, cloudy. But either way: Amazon, look out. Microsoft is gaining fast. Read More »Hype Versus Action in the Developer's World
Often times technologies start as hype but with time become adopted. As a developer or technologist, it is worth reading the hype and knowing the... Read More »Microsoft Hyper-V Network Virtualization Q&A
The top 5 Hyper-V questions with answers provided by Nirmal Sharma, a MCSEx3, MCITP and Microsoft MVP in Directory Services. Read More »
This Webopedia guide will show you how to create a desktop shortcut to a website using Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer (IE). Read More »Flash Data Storage Vendor Trends
Although it is almost impossible to keep up with the pace of ongoing product releases, here are three recent highlights in the flash data storage... Read More »15 Important Big Data Facts for IT Professionals
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »