event managementIn ITIL v3, event management is an additional feature used to define a process that helps leverage automation to manage events to become more effective and efficient. ITIL defines an event as "any detectable or discernable occurrence that has significance for the management of the IT infrastructure or the delivery of IT service and evaluation of the impact a deviation might cause to the services.. (ITIL Service Operation book, Page 35). In event management there are three paths that can be taken:
- Informational: These are events that should be logged for potential future analysis including confirming if the service is operating as expected.
- Warning: During service design, thresholds are identified that help gauge the status of a system. When the threshold is reached, predefined parties, or notification groups, are alerted that the threshold has been reached.
- Exception: This branch is reserved for configuration items (hardware, software or service) that are operating abnormally or have failed. Abnormal behavior criteria should be defined during service design to better understand what types of scenarios trigger what types of exception handling.
If hackers get their hands on your company's data, they can wreak havoc on customer relationships and cause tremendous damage to your brand and... Read More »Windows XP: Move Along, There's Nothing to See Here
After more than 12 years of holding the title of most popular operating system in the world, Windows XP is taking center stage for its final... Read More »Report: The Role of Big Data in the Marketing Industry
According to a new study from Infogroup Targeting Solutions, we can expect to see companies spend heavily on big data marketing initiatives in... Read More »
Although it is almost impossible to keep up with the pace of ongoing product releases, here are three recent highlights in the flash data storage... Read More »15 Important Big Data Facts for IT Professionals
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »Enterprise Storage Vendors
There's a number of vendors that sell enterprise storage hardware or offer cloud-based enterprise storage. View Webopedia's Enterprise storage... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Check out eWeek's new Research Center, a central and comprehensive library of whitepapers, eBooks, eseminars, webcasts, and more from top industry brands and independent tech journalists »
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »