event managementIn ITIL v3, event management is an additional feature used to define a process that helps leverage automation to manage events to become more effective and efficient. ITIL defines an event as "any detectable or discernable occurrence that has significance for the management of the IT infrastructure or the delivery of IT service and evaluation of the impact a deviation might cause to the services.. (ITIL Service Operation book, Page 35). In event management there are three paths that can be taken:
- Informational: These are events that should be logged for potential future analysis including confirming if the service is operating as expected.
- Warning: During service design, thresholds are identified that help gauge the status of a system. When the threshold is reached, predefined parties, or notification groups, are alerted that the threshold has been reached.
- Exception: This branch is reserved for configuration items (hardware, software or service) that are operating abnormally or have failed. Abnormal behavior criteria should be defined during service design to better understand what types of scenarios trigger what types of exception handling.
From the widest view, everything that we include under the heading of mobile has irrevocably changed IT's relationship with the rest of the... Read More »Choosing an Enterprise Storage Implementation
When you deploy a new enterprise storage system, you must decide whether to design and build your own storage system or to utilize a cloud-based... Read More »Big Data Analytics Expert Predictions
In this Webopedia Did You Know...? article we look at three big data expert predictions for 2014. Read More »
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »Enterprise Storage Vendors
There's a number of vendors that sell enterprise storage hardware or offer cloud-based enterprise storage. View Webopedia's Enterprise storage... Read More »50 Cloud Computing Terms Defined
From planning a private cloud project to finding an online cloud storage provider, Webopedia's A-Z Cloud Computing Glossary will help you... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Enterprise Mobility Exchange results show continued growth and emphasis on mobility. CIOInsight breaks down the numbers here. »
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »