Application Service Provider
Abbreviated as ASP, a third-party entity that manages and distributes software-based services and solutions to customers across a wide area network from a central data center.
In essence, ASPs are a way for companies to outsource some or almost all aspects of their information technology needs. They may be commercial ventures that cater to customers, or not-for-profit or government organizations, providing service and support to end users.
According to ASPnews.com, ASPs are broken down into five subcategories:
- Enterprise ASPs -- deliver high-end business applications.
- Local/Regional ASPs -- supply wide variety of application services for smaller businesses in a local area.
- Specialist ASPs -- provide applications for a specific need, such as Web site services or human resources.
- Vertical Market ASPs -- provide support to a specific industry, such as healthcare.
- Volume Business ASPs -- supply general small/medium-sized businesses with prepackaged application services in volume.
From celebrity tweets to hosting live Twitter chats, our favorite Twitter tips will have you tweeting like a pro in no time. Read More »Interesting Times: Transformation in the IT Channel
Business transformation will remain the buzzword of the moment as channel firms continue to assess the direction of their companies in the age of... Read More »11 Tips to Boost Your Wi-Fi Signal
It's not just your lawnmower and household tools that your neighbor won't return. Our top picks include everything from updating device firmware... Read More »
From wacky alarm clocks to lecture hall tools and after class entertainment, these Android apps are a good fit for a student's life and budget. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
A network is a group of two or more computer systems or devices, linked together to share resources, exchange files and electronic communications.... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »