(1) Short for Serial Peripheral Interface, a full-duplex synchronous serial interface for connecting low-/medium-bandwidth external devices using four wires. SPI devices communicate using a master/slaverelationship over two data lines and two control lines:
- Master Out Slave In (MOSI): supplies the output data from the master to the inputs of the slaves.
- Master In Slave Out (MISO): supplies the output data from a slave to the input of the master. It is important to note that there can be no more than one slave that is transmitting data during any particular transfer.
- Serial Clock (SCLK): a control line driven by the master, regulating the flow of data bits.
- Slave Select (SS): a control line that allows slaves to be turned on and off with hardware control.
(2) Short for System Packet Interface, a point-to-point interface standard, allows network equipment designers to develop an array of next-generation multi-service switches and routers to support multi-service traffic with aggregate bandwidths up to OC-192 (10 Gb/s) and beyond, enabling them to dramatically increase system performance. It is a family of Interoperability Agreements from the Optical Internetworking Forum (OIF) which include:
- System Packet Interface Level 5 (SPI-5): OC-768 System Interface for Physical and Link Layer Devices. (OIF documentation)
- System Packet Interface Level 4 (SPI-4) Phase 2: OC-192 System Interface for Physical and Link Layer Devices.(OIF documentation)
- System Physical Interface Level 4 (SPI-4) Phase 1: A System Interface for Interconnection Between Physical and Link Layer, or Peer-to-Peer Entities Operating at an OC-192 Rate (10 Gb/s) (OIF documentation)
- System Packet Interface Level 3: OC-48 System Interface for Physical and Link Layer Devices (OIF documentation)
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
From A3 to ZZZ this guide lists 1,500 text message and online chat abbreviations to help you translate and understand today's texting lingo. Read More »List of Well-Known TCP Port Numbers
Port numbers 0 to 1024 are reserved for privileged services and designated as well-known ports. This list of port numbers are specified in... Read More »
Computer architecture provides an introduction to system design basics for most computer science students. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
Networking fundamentals teaches the building blocks of modern network design. Learn different types of networks, concepts, architecture and... Read More »The Five Generations of Computers
Learn about each of the five generations of computers and major technology developments that have led to the computing devices that we use... Read More »