The iWarp project was started in 1988 to investigate issues involved in building and using high performance computer
systems with powerful communication support. It is an experimental parallel system based on the idea of integrating a VLIW processor
and a sophisticated fine-grained communication system on a single chip. iWarp was designed and built jointly by Carnegie Mellon University and Intel Corporation. The high speed static memory
and the high performance low latency communication system make iWarp a very well suited target for research efforts and many “proof of concept” applications
Intel Corporation announced the iWarp systems as product in 1989 and built iWarp systems with over 1500 nodes since then. With the creation of the Intel Supercomputing Systems Division (iPSC) in 1992 the iWarp was merged with the iPSC product line. Intel kept iWarp as a product but stopped actively marketing it.
Today they are no longer made.