Pronounced as separate letters, and short for Information Systems or Information Services. For many companies, IS is the name of the department responsible for computers, networking and data management. Other companies refer to the department as IT (Information Technology) and MIS (Management Information Services).
Information systems support different types of decisions at different levels of the organizational hierarchy. Major types of Information systems include structural databases and information management software that can include the following;
- Transaction Process Systems (TPS)
- Enterprise Collaboration Systems (ECS)
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Decision Support Systems (DSS)
- Executive Support Systems (ESS)