Red Hat is an American multinational software company that provides open source products that can be easily ordered and implemented. Red Hat created the original open source business model. The company contributes to the Fedora Linux open source project, the basis for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, but charges subscription, support and services fees to those customers who rely on Red Hat for maintenance, support, and installation. Open-source code is provided so that programmers can make adaptations and improvements to the software.
Red Hat got its name from founder Marc Ewing, who wore a red Cornell lacrosse hat given to him by his grandfather while attending Carnegie Mellon University. In October 2018, IBM announced that it would acquire Red Hat for $34 billion one of its largest acquisitions. The acquisition closed on July 9, 2019. Red Hat contributes to more than 450 open source projects involving many aspects of the software stack.
Red Hat products
Red Hat offers many products for multiple platforms. While we outline some products, it is not comprehensive.
- Enterprise Linux: A Linux-based operating system for scaling existing applications and creating new technologies.
- OpenStack Platform: A secure platform for building public and private clouds.
- Satellite: An IT infrastructure management tool primarily used to monitor and manage Red Hat Enterprise Linux environments.
Read more about Red Hat and the top open source iterations of Linux with: Best Linux Server Distributions of 2020 at TechRepublic.
- Virtualization: Enterprise virtualization management for servers and desktops within the same infrastructure.
- Hyperconverged Infrastructure: Consolidates compute, storage, and networking resources into a unified system.
Also read why Red Hat made Datamation‘s Top Data Virtualization Tools of 2021.
Cloud Computing platforms
- OpenShift: An open source container application platform.
- Certificate system: An enterprise software system that provides a secure framework to establish and maintain trusted identities and keep communications private.
- Directory Server: An operating system-independent, network-based registry.
- Quay: A private container registry for storing, building, and deploying container images.
Read more on Red Hat’s cloud projects with: IBM Boosts Its Hybrid Cloud with New Power System, Red Hat (eWeek).
- Gluster Storage: Open, software-defined file storage.
- Ceph Storage: A block and object storage platform for enterprises deploying public or private clouds.
- OpenShift Container Storage: Software-defined storage built specifically for container environments.
Red Hat Competitors
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Apache Software Foundation
- Cloud Foundry
Also read: Red Hat Virtualization vs. Proxmox VE (Enterprise Networking Planet)
Recognition and Reviews
Red Hat’s received market Visionary status on the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Distributed File Systems and Object Storage (2016-2020). For the Forrester Wave, Red Hat holds a number of accolades, including:
- Strong Performer – In-Memory Databases (2017)
- Contender – API Management Solutions (2018)
- Leader – Infrastructure Automation Platforms (2020)
- Contender – Hyperconverged Infrastructure (2020)
- Leader – Multicloud Container Development Platforms (2020)
Read why Red Hat makes eSecurity Planet‘s top Patch Management Software & Tools.
On Gartner Peer Insights, Red Hat holds scores in a multitude of solution categories. The company’s top three reviewed solutions, scores, and highlighted features currently are:
|Garner Peer Insights||Ratings||Reviews||Praised Features|
|Application Release Orchestration||4.6||166||Integration and deployment, ease using standard APIs, and quality of peer user community|
|Server Virtualization||4.4||180||Capabilities including security, storage, networking, recoverability, and interoperability.|
|Application Platforms||4.4||124||Support for app deployment, runtime environments, and app life-cycle management.|
- Holes in Linux Kernel Could Pose Problems for Red Hat (eSecurityPlanet)
- Red Hat to Build Analytics Platform to Help Combat Climate Change (IT Business Edge)
- RH survey points to enterprises’ biggest pain with open source support (TechRepublic)
- Best DevOps Monitoring Tools & Applications for 2021 (IT Business Edge)
- Best Network Automation Tools for 2021 (Enterprise Networking Planet)
Updated by Sam Ingalls on September 16, 2021.