SQL Developer is a free database management software offered by Oracle, one of the leading database management companies in the world. The name SQL Developer refers to Structured Query Language, a language for making queries within databases. SQL Developer offers database administrators many features that allow them to organize their data and manage the database more efficiently. Oracle SQL Developer’s features include:
- Data modeling that makes the data more visibly organized and relational, so that developers and administrators can see the relationship between objects
- Connections that users can create, choosing the type of connection and color-coding it if they want
- An object browser to search data objects in a variety of formats
- Object editor with many different options (such as adding a column to a table)
- Data importing and exporting for different data formats
- Report generation for database sessions
- Data migrations from other databases
SQL Developer also allows users to migrate data from certain third-party databases that it supports. These include MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server. Users can connect SQL Developer to their cloud or non-cloud databases as well.
SQL Developer is designed to make database work more efficient for developers and administrators. It also gives them many options and opportunities for editing, organizing, and visualizing data.