Altibase is an enterprise-grade, open source relational database that is compatible and interoperable with Oracle. It combines an in-memory database with an on-disk database to create a single database that uses a consistent interface to streamline data processing. Because of this hybrid structure, data can be stored and manipulated in main memory alone, on a physical disk alone, or a combination of both, meaning that users don’t need to purchase an in-memory database and an on-disk database separately.
The Altibase database management system (DBMS) does not have license costs. It is free to download.
What is a relational database?
A relational database stores and connects data in tables and columns, emphasizing the relationships between the data. Relational databases are intended for data that’s structured and connected. Relational databases can be set to automatically update data if one instance of it is edited or changed. When that happens, the other related data will receive real-time updates.
The database is organized into tables that are used to hold information about the objects to be represented in the database. Each column in a table holds a certain kind of data, and a field stores the actual value or attribute. The rows represent a collection of related values of one object. Each row in a table can be marked with a unique identifier, and rows within multiple tables can be made related using foreign keys. The data of a relational database can be accessed in many ways without reorganizing the tables themselves. Important aspects of a relational database include:
- Structured Query Language (SQL): The primary interface used to communicate with a relational database. It’s the standardized query language for requesting information from a database.
- Data integrity: The overall completeness, accuracy, and consistency of data.
- Database transactions: One or more SQL statements that are executed as a sequence of operations that form a single unit of work.
- ACID compliance: All database transactions must be ACID compliant to ensure data integrity: Atomic, Consistent, Isolated, and Durable
Features and tools of Altibase
- Adapter for Oracle: A tool for copying data that has been modified in Altibase to an Oracle database.
- Audit: Altibase’s tool for resolving replication conflicts.
- CheckServer: A tool for monitoring the database server process and executing a script if it’s been terminated.
- iLoader: A tool for downloading and uploading table data. Typically used during database migration tasks.
- iSQL: A command line tool for executing SQL statements
- Migration center: A GUI tool for migrating data from other databases to the Altibase database.
- Replication Manager: A GUI tool for simplifying replication management tasks.
- Heartbeat: A tool for detecting node failures in a distributed database environment.
- Hadoop Connector: Enables the transfer of data between Apache Hadoop and Altibase servers.