UTM Parameters Definition & Meaning
UTM (Urchin tracking module) parameters are code appended to a URL through Google Analytics. They track campaign data for businesses based on customer interaction. Downloading a Google Analytics account allows businesses to set up different parameters. The Google platform has a URL building feature for customizing parameters.
Types of UTM parameters
There are five types of UTM parameters that can be added to a URL:
- utm_campaign: the name of the overall campaign. For example, if BOGO Tie Dye Tees is your company's advertising campaign name, that should be your UTM.
- utm_source: data from the chosen source that you attach to that parameter; for example, a link that customers click on a webpage
- utm_term: identifies the monetized keywords within your campaign
- utm_medium: the particular medium you have chosen to track for the campaign; for example, pay per click
- utm_content: which specific link the customer navigated to so that you better understand customer interactions; for example, differentiating between two links to different tie-dye tees
One caveat to UTM parameters: If a URL is shared across platforms, it will still have the parameters and can give your business misleading information about customer traffic.
UTM parameters help show businesses where traffic is going so that they can optimize earnings, channels, and resources. These parameters allow businesses to see where and how customers interact. They are also flexible and can be applied to multiple mediums on the Internet.
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
From A3 to ZZZ we list 1,559 text message and online chat abbreviations to help you translate and understand today's texting lingo. Includes Top... Read More »Huge List of Computer Certifications
Have you heard about a computer certification program but can't figure out if it's right for you? Use this handy list to help you decide. Read More »
Computer architecture provides an introduction to system design basics for most computer science students. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
Networking fundamentals teaches the building blocks of modern network design. Learn different types of networks, concepts, architecture and... Read More »The Five Generations of Computers
Learn about each of the five generations of computers and major technology developments that have led to the computing devices that we use... Read More »