SMSC - Short Message Service Center
SMSC is short for Short Message Service (SMS) Center.
The SMS center is responsible for routing and regulating the SMS operations of a wireless network. When an SMS message is sent from a mobile phone it first reaches a SMSC that will then forward the SMS message to the destination. SMSCs also store SMS messages if a recipient is unavailable. One problem with the SMS is that wireless network companies often use proprietary communication protocols making it impossible to connect between the two without the use of the SMS gateway. The SMS gateway acts as a relay between the two SMSCs and translates protocols.
How it Works
- A message is sent from a cellular device
- The message is received by a Short Message Service Center (SMSC)
- SMSC sends a SMS Request to the home location register (HLR) to find the customer
- The HLR receives the request and responds with a status of active or inactive
- The SMSC directs the message to the correct mobile device (active) or holds the message for a period of time (inactive)
- A customer uses the device and the SMSC will attempt delivery and transfers the message
- The SMSC receives verification that the message was received then categorizes the message as sent
Recommended Reading: SMS Technical Overview
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
The following coding and IT boot camp facts and statistics provide an introduction to the changing trends in education and training programs. Read More »Top Cloud Computing Facts
The following facts and statistics capture the changing landscape of cloud computing and how service providers and customers are keeping up with... Read More »
Java is a high-level programming language. This guide describes the basics of Java, providing an overview of syntax, variables, data types and... Read More »Java Basics, Part 2
This second Study Guide describes the basics of Java, providing an overview of operators, modifiers and control Structures. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
Networking fundamentals teaches the building blocks of modern network design. Learn different types of networks, concepts, architecture and... Read More »