Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Definition And Meaning
Robotic process automation (RPA) is a way to automate repetitive, time-consuming tasks using software with machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) features. Businesses use RPA in multiple aspects of operations to improve efficiency and reduce instances of human error. Some common examples of RPA include performing transactions, making queries, running calculations, and processing information requests.
Uses of robotic process automation (RPA)
Organizations use RPA for a variety of use cases bound by two common themes: uniform process and volume. Robotic process automation can only be used to perform repetitive, high-volume tasks. Here are some examples of how RPA can be used:
- To perform simple customer service functions or to triage issues via a chat bot
- To perform queries on large datasets for data cleansing or data integration
- To automate payroll processing
- To transcribe text from a document, such as a PDF
- To automatically generate financial statements—like balance sheets or income statements—at set time intervals
RPA can be used for a multitude of functions. While the uses may seem broad, there are three main types or modes of RPA:
- Attended. Robotic process automation bots that work alongside humans in situations where an entire process cannot be automated. A customer service chat bot is an example of attended RPA.
- Unattended. RPA bots that can work independently. Like attended RPAs, they are event-triggered, but they can also be scheduled. An example of unattended RPA is a bot that processes payroll.
- Hybrid. Hybrid RPA utilizes the two previous types of RPA for work that requires human involvement at various points. For workflows that can be totally automated, unattended RPA will work in the background. When human input is needed, the unattended bot will activate the attended bot.
Best RPA tools
- Automation Anywhere
- Pega Platform
- Blue Prism
- Datamatics TruBot
- HelpSystems Automate
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
From A3 to ZZZ we list 1,559 text message and online chat abbreviations to help you translate and understand today's texting lingo. Includes Top... Read More »Huge List of Computer Certifications
Have you heard about a computer certification program but can't figure out if it's right for you? Use this handy list to help you decide. Read More »
Computer architecture provides an introduction to system design basics for most computer science students. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
Networking fundamentals teaches the building blocks of modern network design. Learn different types of networks, concepts, architecture and... Read More »The Five Generations of Computers
Learn about each of the five generations of computers and major technology developments that have led to the computing devices that we use... Read More »