Next-Generation NetworkA Next-Generation Network (NGN) is the term given to describe a telecommunications packet-based network that handles multiple types of traffic (such as voice, data, and multimedia). It is the convergence of service provider networks that includes the public switched telephone network (PSTN), the data network (the Internet), and, in some instances, the wireless network as well.
* The NGN system offers key convergent multimedia services using a shared network characterized by several essential elements:
- A unique and shared core network for all types of access and services.
- A core network architecture divided into three layers: Transport, Control and Services.
- Development of packet mode transport (IP flow transport in native IP, or on ATM in the short term with a progressive convergence to IP).
- Open and standardized interfaces between each layer, and in particular for the Control and Services layers in order to allow third parties to develop and create services independent of the network.
- Support for multiple applications (multimedia, real-time, transactional, total mobility) adaptable to the user and growing and varied capacities of access networks and terminals. * [Adapted from Moving towards the Next Generation Networks (NGN)]
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
The following facts and statistics capture the changing landscape of cloud computing and how service providers and customers are keeping up with... Read More »Facts about Computer Science: Education and Jobs
The following computer science facts and statistics provide a quick introduction to the changing trends in education and related careers. Read More »Texting & Chat Abbreviations
From A3 to ZZZ this guide lists 1,500 text message and online chat abbreviations to help you translate and understand today's texting lingo. Read More »
Learn about each of the five generations of computers and major technology developments that have led to the computing devices that we use... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
Computer architecture provides an introduction to system design basics for most computer science students. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
Networking fundamentals teaches the building blocks of modern network design. Learn different types of networks, concepts, architecture and... Read More »