Next-Generation NetworkA Next-Generation Network (NGN) is the term given to describe a telecommunications packet-based network that handles multiple types of traffic (such as voice, data, and multimedia). It is the convergence of service provider networks that includes the public switched telephone network (PSTN), the data network (the Internet), and, in some instances, the wireless network as well.
* The NGN system offers key convergent multimedia services using a shared network characterized by several essential elements:
- A unique and shared core network for all types of access and services.
- A core network architecture divided into three layers: Transport, Control and Services.
- Development of packet mode transport (IP flow transport in native IP, or on ATM in the short term with a progressive convergence to IP).
- Open and standardized interfaces between each layer, and in particular for the Control and Services layers in order to allow third parties to develop and create services independent of the network.
- Support for multiple applications (multimedia, real-time, transactional, total mobility) adaptable to the user and growing and varied capacities of access networks and terminals. * [Adapted from Moving towards the Next Generation Networks (NGN)]
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
The following coding and IT boot camp facts and statistics provide an introduction to the changing trends in education and training programs. Read More »Top Cloud Computing Facts
The following facts and statistics capture the changing landscape of cloud computing and how service providers and customers are keeping up with... Read More »
Java is a high-level programming language. This guide describes the basics of Java, providing an overview of syntax, variables, data types and... Read More »Java Basics, Part 2
This second Study Guide describes the basics of Java, providing an overview of operators, modifiers and control Structures. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
Networking fundamentals teaches the building blocks of modern network design. Learn different types of networks, concepts, architecture and... Read More »