MSSP (Managed Security Service Provider)
Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP) is a technology firm that provides cybersecurity services to companies and organizations. MSSP offers a range of solutions such as firewall management, device and systems monitoring, security audits, intrusion detection, and personnel training to safeguard a company’s IT infrastructure.
While information technology continues to advance, cybersecurity threats also evolve. Hackers become more sophisticated in launching cyberattacks and accessing sensitive information. It’s a race between the hopeful promise of technological innovation and the dark side of cybercrime with businesses, organizations, and consumers caught in the middle.
As a company undergoes a digital transformation, it needs to invest in security to protect data and its digital assets and to ensure compliance with privacy policies and regulations. A security breach can cost a large amount of money, destroy an organization’s reputation, and shatter stakeholder confidence. Thus, incidents that will compromise and potentially imperil the integrity of its assets must be avoided.
Employing an IT security system can be resource-draining, especially for small and medium-sized businesses and start-ups. On top of that, the government requires companies to comply with privacy and consumer data protection regulations. MSSPs help companies deal with cybersecurity pressures by providing affordable security services, technical expertise, continuous monitoring, and policy compliance.
Benefits of MSSPs
Although an organization can invest in its in-house security system, outsourcing the job to MSSPs offers some advantages:
- Leverage the advancements in cybersecurity technology
- Affordable access to the services of cybersecurity experts
- Enhance capability to safeguard the network and data from threats
- Save money on personnel development, equipment, software, maintenance, and other operational costs
- Focus on product innovation and expansion of services and customer base
- Improve efficiency in threat detection and vulnerability fixes
MSSP services and offers
Typical MSSPs provide on-site consultancy, which involves risk assessments, processes and policy development, security product integration, and installation of perimeter defenses. They offer the following features:
- Firewall and security systems management
- Intrusion detection and prevention system
- Web content and traffic filtering
- Device and systems monitoring
- Identity and privileged access management
- Vulnerability scanning and assessment
- Patches, upgrades, and updates administration
- Virtual private network (VPN)
- Antivirus, antimalware, and antispam
- Data loss prevention
- Threat intelligence
- Security risk evaluation and analytics
- Processes and policy development
- Security solutions implementation
- Reporting, auditing, and compliance
- Personnel training
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
From A3 to ZZZ we list 1,559 text message and online chat abbreviations to help you translate and understand today's texting lingo. Includes Top... Read More »Huge List of Computer Certifications
Have you heard about a computer certification program but can't figure out if it's right for you? Use this handy list to help you decide. Read More »
Computer architecture provides an introduction to system design basics for most computer science students. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
Networking fundamentals teaches the building blocks of modern network design. Learn different types of networks, concepts, architecture and... Read More »The Five Generations of Computers
Learn about each of the five generations of computers and major technology developments that have led to the computing devices that we use... Read More »