MFT - Master File Table
Short for Master File Table, a file that contains information in the form of 1024-byte records about every other file and directory in an NTFS volume (i.e., it is essentially a table of metadata). The data stored in the MFT is what the operating systemneeds to retrieve the files. For example, it contains file permissions, the name and size of the file, the date and time it was created and the date and time it was modified.
NTFS reserves the first 16 records in the MFT for special metadata files, listed below:
- Record 0: metadata about the MFT itself.
- Record 1: the MFT mirror record, which is a copy of the first 16 records of the MFT
- Record 2: the NTFS volume��s logging file
- Record 3: volume partitioninformation, such as its name, NTFS version and creation date and time
- Record 4: metadata regarding the NTFS file attributes used on the volume
- Record 5: a pointer to the volume��s root directory
- Record 6: a map displaying which clusterson the volume are available for use
- Record 7: a copy of the volume boot code
- Record 8: a list of all the volume��s clusters that have been marked as unusable because of detected errors
- Record 9: a table of disk quotas for NTFS 5.0 or later
- Record 10: information for converting files to Unicode
- Records 11-15: reserved for future metadata
The 17th record and those following it contain information for each file and directory on the NTFS volume in order to prevent excessive disk fragmentation as file on the NTFS are added, causing the MFT to grow.
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
The following coding and IT boot camp facts and statistics provide an introduction to the changing trends in education and training programs. Read More »Top Cloud Computing Facts
The following facts and statistics capture the changing landscape of cloud computing and how service providers and customers are keeping up with... Read More »Texting & Chat Abbreviations
From A3 to ZZZ this guide lists 1,500 text message and online chat abbreviations to help you translate and understand today's texting lingo. Read More »
Java is a high-level programming language. This guide describes the basics of Java, providing an overview of syntax, variables, data types and... Read More »Java Basics, Part 2
This second Study Guide describes the basics of Java, providing an overview of operators, modifiers and control Structures. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
Networking fundamentals teaches the building blocks of modern network design. Learn different types of networks, concepts, architecture and... Read More »