Black Box Testing
Also known as functional testing. A software testing technique whereby the internal workings of the item being tested are not known by the tester. For example, in a black box test on a software design the tester only knows the inputs and what the expected outcomes should be and not how the program arrives at those outputs. The tester does not ever examine the programming codeand does not need any further knowledge of the program other than its specifications.
The advantages of this type of testing include:
- The test is unbiased because the designer and the tester are independent of each other.
- The tester does not need knowledge of any specific programming languages.
- The test is done from the point of view of the user, not the designer.
- Test cases can be designed as soon as the specifications are complete.
The disadvantages of this type of testing include:
- The test can be redundant if the software designer has already run a test case.
- The test cases are difficult to design.
- Testing every possible input stream is unrealistic because it would take a inordinate amount of time; therefore, many program paths will go untested.
For a complete software examination, both white boxand black box tests are required.
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
The following facts and statistics capture the changing landscape of cloud computing and how service providers and customers are keeping up with... Read More »SEO Dictionary
From keyword analysis to backlinks and Google search engine algorithm updates, our search engine optimization glossary lists 85 SEO terms you need... Read More »Texting & Chat Abbreviations
From A3 to ZZZ this guide lists 1,500 text message and online chat abbreviations to help you translate and understand today's texting lingo. Read More »
Java is a high-level programming language. This guide describes the basics of Java, providing an overview of syntax, variables, data types and... Read More »Java Basics, Part 2
This second Study Guide describes the basics of Java, providing an overview of operators, modifiers and control Structures. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
Networking fundamentals teaches the building blocks of modern network design. Learn different types of networks, concepts, architecture and... Read More »