(pronounced as separate letters) An IEEE standard for documenting the testing of software. The standard typically applies to any stage in the testing of developing software, and each stage in the software��s development typically is documented using the same application of the standard. The IEEE specifies eight stages in the documentation process, each stage producing its own separate document.
- Test Plan: A detail of how the test will proceed, who will do the testing, what will be tested, in how much time the test will take place, and to what quality level the test will be performed.
- Test Design Specification: A detail of the test conditions and the expected outcome. This document also includes details of how a successful test will be recognized.
- Test Case Specification: A detail of the specific data that is necessary to run tests based on the conditions identified in the previous stage.
- Test Procedure Specification: A detail of how the tester will physically run the test, the physical set-up required, and the procedure steps that need to be followed.
- Test Item Transmittal Report: A detail of when specific tested items have been passed from one stage of testing to another.
- Test Log: A detail of what tests cases were run, who ran the tests, in what order they were run, and whether or not individual tests were passed or failed.
- Test Incident Report: A detail of the actual versus expected results of a test, when a test has failed, and anything indicating why the test failed.
- Test Summary Report: A detail of all the important information to come out of the testing procedure, including an assessment of how well the testing was performed, an assessment of the quality of the system, any incidents that occurred, and a record of what testing was done and how long it took to be used in future test planning. This final document is used to determine if the software being tested is viable enough to proceed to the next stage of development.
IEEE 829 also is referred to as the 829 Standard for Software Test Documentation.