Cloud backup, or cloud computer backup, refers to backing up data to a remote, cloud-based server. As a form of cloud storage, cloud backup data is stored in and accessible from multiple distributed and connected resources that comprise a cloud (see "cloud computing").
Cloud Backup Solutions
Cloud backup solutions enable enterprises or individuals to store their data and computer files on the Internet using a storage service provider, rather than storing the data locally on a physical disk, such as a hard drive or tape backup.
Cloud backup providers enable customers to remotely access the provider's services using a secure client log in application to back up files from the customer’s computers or data center to the online storage server using an encrypted connection.
How to Restore a Cloud Backup
To update or restore a cloud backup, customers need to use the service provider's specific client application or a Web browser interface. Files and data can be automatically saved to the cloud backup service on a regular, scheduled basis, or the information can be automatically backed up anytime changes are made (also known as a "cloud sync").
Enterprise-Grade Cloud Backup
For enterprises, enterprise-grade cloud backup solutions are available that typically add essential features such as archiving and disaster recovery. Archiving features help to satisfy an enterprise’s legal requirements for data retention, and as part of a company's disaster recovery plan, the remote, off-site storage provided by cloud backup helps ensure the data remains safe should the enterprise’s local data be jeopardized by a disaster such as a fire, flood, hacker attack or employee theft.
Cloud backup may also be referred to as online backup or online storage.
Top 5 Cloud Backup Related Questions
More Cloud Computing Articles from Webopedia.com
1. Cloud Computing Dictionary: 42 Cloud Terms Defined
2. Cloud Computing Explained
3. Open Source Small Business Cloud Computing Applications
4. Slideshow: Cloud Computing Security Challenges
5. Cloud Computing White Papers and Resources for Small Businesses
Featured Partners Sponsored
- Increase worker productivity, enhance data security, and enjoy greater energy savings. Find out how. Download the “Ultimate Desktop Simplicity Kit” now.»
- Find out which 10 hardware additions will help you maintain excellent service and outstanding security for you and your customers. »
- Server virtualization is growing in popularity, but the technology for securing it lags. To protect your virtual network.»
- Before you implement a private cloud, find out what you need to know about automated delivery, virtual sprawl, and more. »