(1) Also referred to as simply Beta, the first VCR format, developed by Sony in 1975. Except for old systems that are still around since the 1980s, Betamax eventually disappeared from the home user marketplace as consumers favored the VHS format. The Betamax format is still in use today by professional videographers, television broadcasters and film makers.
(2) The landmark U.S. legal precedent set in 1984 for allowing consumers to space-shift content they own to other formats and devices for the purpose of personal use. The precedent was a result of the Supreme Court decision in Sony v. Universal.
Featured Partners Sponsored
- Increase worker productivity, enhance data security, and enjoy greater energy savings. Find out how. Download the “Ultimate Desktop Simplicity Kit” now.»
- Find out which 10 hardware additions will help you maintain excellent service and outstanding security for you and your customers. »
- Server virtualization is growing in popularity, but the technology for securing it lags. To protect your virtual network.»
- Before you implement a private cloud, find out what you need to know about automated delivery, virtual sprawl, and more. »