(1) Short for AppleTalk Filing Protocol, the client/server file sharing protocol used in an AppleTalk network. A non-Apple network can only access data from an AppleShare file server by first translating into the AFP language. AFP over TCP/IP, a flavor of AFP, allows users to access AFP servers over TCP/IP networks.
(2) Short for Advanced Function Presentation, IBM's AFP platform is a published standard in the print industry for printing variable data at very high speeds with complete integrity. AFP incorporates other industry formats, including EPS, PDF, TIFF, GIF, JPEG, XML, XSL, PostScript, PCL and PPML.to cover the entire range of text, image, graphics, process color, highlight color and monochrome printing. AFP has the capability to print on standard printing device and deliver content via HTML, fax, e-mail or screen. [Adapted from the IBM Printers Web site].
Featured Partners Sponsored
- Increase worker productivity, enhance data security, and enjoy greater energy savings. Find out how. Download the “Ultimate Desktop Simplicity Kit” now.»
- Find out which 10 hardware additions will help you maintain excellent service and outstanding security for you and your customers. »
- Server virtualization is growing in popularity, but the technology for securing it lags. To protect your virtual network.»
- Before you implement a private cloud, find out what you need to know about automated delivery, virtual sprawl, and more. »