system resourceA tool used by either hardware to alert software of a need or by software to control a function of hardware. Hardware and software need a way to communicate with each other, and they do so by using a combination of four system resources:
- IRQ �� Hardware devices use the IRQ bus on a motherboard to signal the CPU for attention.
- port addresses �� Software addresses a hardware device using the device��s port, or I/O, address. The device "listens" to the bus to determine if it is being requested.
- memory addresses �� Software communicates with physical memory located in either RAM or ROM chips using memory addresses.
- DMA channel �� Data travels back and forth between memory and a hardware device using this channel.
Taking ownership of our own misjudgments or simple forgetfulness takes a healthy amount of humility and some honest self-assessment. Yet sometimes... Read More »Have We Become a World of Addicts?
It's hard to imagine our lives without smartphones. But people who suffer separation anxiety when they don't have their phones nearby may be in... Read More »13 Best Free Android Apps
From secure messaging to document editing, our top free must-have apps have been rated, reviewed and named the best free Android apps of 2015. Read More »
From wacky alarm clocks to lecture hall tools and after class entertainment, these Android apps are a good fit for a student's life and budget. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
A network is a group of two or more computer systems or devices, linked together to share resources, exchange files and electronic communications.... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »