system resourceA tool used by either hardware to alert software of a need or by software to control a function of hardware. Hardware and software need a way to communicate with each other, and they do so by using a combination of four system resources:
- IRQ �� Hardware devices use the IRQ bus on a motherboard to signal the CPU for attention.
- port addresses �� Software addresses a hardware device using the device��s port, or I/O, address. The device "listens" to the bus to determine if it is being requested.
- memory addresses �� Software communicates with physical memory located in either RAM or ROM chips using memory addresses.
- DMA channel �� Data travels back and forth between memory and a hardware device using this channel.
From the widest view, everything that we include under the heading of mobile has irrevocably changed IT's relationship with the rest of the... Read More »Choosing an Enterprise Storage Implementation
When you deploy a new enterprise storage system, you must decide whether to design and build your own storage system or to utilize a cloud-based... Read More »Big Data Analytics Expert Predictions
In this Webopedia Did You Know...? article we look at three big data expert predictions for 2014. Read More »
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »Enterprise Storage Vendors
There's a number of vendors that sell enterprise storage hardware or offer cloud-based enterprise storage. View Webopedia's Enterprise storage... Read More »50 Cloud Computing Terms Defined
From planning a private cloud project to finding an online cloud storage provider, Webopedia's A-Z Cloud Computing Glossary will help you... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Enterprise Mobility Exchange results show continued growth and emphasis on mobility. CIOInsight breaks down the numbers here. »
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »