Start of AuthorityAbbreviated SOA, a type of resource record that is used by the Domain Name System (DNS). Every domain name has an SOA record in its database that indicates basic properties of the domain and the zone that the domain is in. The SOA record contains:
- The host name for the primary name server for the zone.
- An e-mail address of the person who is responsible for the domain.
- The serial number for the zone.
- The refresh interval. This is how often, in seconds, the secondary name servers check with the primary name server to see if any changes have been made to the domain's zone file.
- The time, in seconds, a secondary server waits before retrying a failed zone transfer. This time is typically less than the refresh interval.
- The time, in seconds, before a secondary server stops responding to queries, or "expires" a zone, after a lapsed refresh interval where the zone was not refreshed or updated.
- The minimum time-to-live (TTL). This value is supplied in query responses by servers for the zone to inform others how long they should cache a resource record provided in an answer.
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
From keyword analysis to backlinks and Google search engine algorithm updates, our search engine optimization glossary lists 85 SEO terms you need... Read More »Slideshow: History of Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Windows is a family of operating systems for personal computers. In this article we look at the history of Microsoft operating... Read More »Slideshow: Interesting Facts About Google Search
From Goats to Penguins, a server outage and trillions of searches, our slideshow presents interesting facts about Google and the Google.com... Read More »
Java is a high-level programming language. This guide describes the basics of Java, providing an overview of syntax, variables, data types and... Read More »Java Basics, Part 2
This second Study Guide describes the basics of Java, providing an overview of operators, modifiers and control Structures. Read More »The 7 Layers of the OSI Model
The Open System Interconnection (OSI) model defines a networking framework to implement protocols in seven layers. Use this handy guide to compare... Read More »