(2) Acronym for system development life cycle. SDLC is the process of developing information systems through investigation, analysis, design, implementation and maintenance. SDLC is also known as information systems development or application development. SDLC is a systems approach to problem solving and is made up of several phases, each comprised of multiple steps:
- The software concept - identifies and defines a need for the new system
- A requirements analysis - analyzes the information needs of the end users
- The architectural design - creates a blueprint for the design with the necessary specifications for the hardware, software, people and data resources
- Coding and debugging - creates and programs the final system
- System testing - evaluates the system's actual functionality in relation to expected or intended functionality.
(3) Acronym for software development life cycle (SDLC) and also synonymous with software process as well as software engineering, it is a structured methodology used in the development of software products and packages. This methodology is used from the conception phase through to the delivery and end of life of a final software product. See under software engineering.
Featured Partners Sponsored
- Increase worker productivity, enhance data security, and enjoy greater energy savings. Find out how. Download the “Ultimate Desktop Simplicity Kit” now.»
- Find out which 10 hardware additions will help you maintain excellent service and outstanding security for you and your customers. »
- Server virtualization is growing in popularity, but the technology for securing it lags. To protect your virtual network.»
- Before you implement a private cloud, find out what you need to know about automated delivery, virtual sprawl, and more. »