SAP - Session Announcement Protocol
(1) Short for Session Announcement Protocol, an announcement protocol used to communicate the relevant session setup information to prospective participants during multicast sessions. SAPs typically use the Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP).
(2) Short for Service Advertising Protocol, a NetWare protocol used to identify the services and addresses of servers attached to the network. The responses are used to update a table in the router known as the Server Information Table.
(3) Short for Secondary Audio Program, an NTSC audio channel used for auxiliary transmission, such as foreign language broadcasting or teletext.
(4) Short for SAP America, Inc., Lester, PA, the U.S. branch of the German software company, SAP AG. The name SAP stands for Systems, Applications and Products in Data Processing. SAP's R/3 integrated suite of applications and its ABAP/4 Development Workbench became popular starting around 1993.
It's not just your lawnmower and household tools that your neighbor won't return. Our top picks include everything from updating device firmware... Read More »Interesting Times: Transformation in the IT Channel
Business transformation will remain the buzzword of the moment as channel firms continue to assess the direction of their companies in the age of... Read More »What is a Virtual Private network (VPN)?
Companies and organizations will use a VPN to communicate confidentially over a public network and to send voice, video or data. Read More »
From wacky alarm clocks to lecture hall tools and after class entertainment, these Android apps are a good fit for a student's life and budget. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
A network is a group of two or more computer systems or devices, linked together to share resources, exchange files and electronic communications.... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »