SAP - Session Announcement Protocol
(1) Short for Session Announcement Protocol, an announcement protocol used to communicate the relevant session setup information to prospective participants during multicast sessions. SAPs typically use the Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP).
(2) Short for Service Advertising Protocol, a NetWare protocol used to identify the services and addresses of servers attached to the network. The responses are used to update a table in the router known as the Server Information Table.
(3) Short for Secondary Audio Program, an NTSC audio channel used for auxiliary transmission, such as foreign language broadcasting or teletext.
(4) Short for SAP America, Inc., Lester, PA, the U.S. branch of the German software company, SAP AG. The name SAP stands for Systems, Applications and Products in Data Processing. SAP's R/3 integrated suite of applications and its ABAP/4 Development Workbench became popular starting around 1993.
Often times technologies start as hype but with time become adopted. As a developer or technologist, it is worth reading the hype and knowing the... Read More »Microsoft Hyper-V Network Virtualization Q&A
The top 5 Hyper-V questions with answers provided by Nirmal Sharma, a MCSEx3, MCITP and Microsoft MVP in Directory Services. Read More »Storage Trends: Solid State and Software Defined
Solid state drives and software defined storage are two leading trends in the rapidly growing storage market. Read More »
Creating desktop shortcuts to a websites is useful. When you double-click the icon from your desktop it automatically launches the browser and... Read More »Flash Data Storage Vendor Trends
Although it is almost impossible to keep up with the pace of ongoing product releases, here are three recent highlights in the flash data storage... Read More »15 Important Big Data Facts for IT Professionals
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »