SAP - Session Announcement Protocol
(1) Short for Session Announcement Protocol, an announcement protocol used to communicate the relevant session setup information to prospective participants during multicast sessions. SAPs typically use the Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP).
(2) Short for Service Advertising Protocol, a NetWare protocol used to identify the services and addresses of servers attached to the network. The responses are used to update a table in the router known as the Server Information Table.
(3) Short for Secondary Audio Program, an NTSC audio channel used for auxiliary transmission, such as foreign language broadcasting or teletext.
(4) Short for SAP America, Inc., Lester, PA, the U.S. branch of the German software company, SAP AG. The name SAP stands for Systems, Applications and Products in Data Processing. SAP's R/3 integrated suite of applications and its ABAP/4 Development Workbench became popular starting around 1993.
Taking ownership of our own misjudgments or simple forgetfulness takes a healthy amount of humility and some honest self-assessment. Yet sometimes... Read More »Have We Become a World of Addicts?
It's hard to imagine our lives without smartphones. But people who suffer separation anxiety when they don't have their phones nearby may be in... Read More »13 Best Free Android Apps
From secure messaging to document editing, our top free must-have apps have been rated, reviewed and named the best free Android apps of 2015. Read More »
From wacky alarm clocks to lecture hall tools and after class entertainment, these Android apps are a good fit for a student's life and budget. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
A network is a group of two or more computer systems or devices, linked together to share resources, exchange files and electronic communications.... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »