SAP - Session Announcement Protocol
(1) Short for Session Announcement Protocol, an announcement protocol used to communicate the relevant session setup information to prospective participants during multicast sessions. SAPs typically use the Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP).
(2) Short for Service Advertising Protocol, a NetWare protocol used to identify the services and addresses of servers attached to the network. The responses are used to update a table in the router known as the Server Information Table.
(3) Short for Secondary Audio Program, an NTSC audio channel used for auxiliary transmission, such as foreign language broadcasting or teletext.
(4) Short for SAP America, Inc., Lester, PA, the U.S. branch of the German software company, SAP AG. The name SAP stands for Systems, Applications and Products in Data Processing. SAP's R/3 integrated suite of applications and its ABAP/4 Development Workbench became popular starting around 1993.
From secure messaging to document editing, our top free must-have apps have been rated, reviewed and named the best free Android apps of 2015. Read More »The Five Generations of Computers
Learn about each of the five generations of computers and major technology developments that have led to the current devices that we use today. Read More »Cloud Computing Market Leaders, 2015
If not for AWS, Microsoft would dominate the cloud. The race to capture market share will grow ever more fierce in the years ahead. Here's a look... Read More »
From wacky alarm clocks to lecture hall tools and after class entertainment, these Android apps are a good fit for a student's life and budget. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
A network is a group of two or more computer systems or devices, linked together to share resources, exchange files and electronic communications.... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »