Regional CodeDVD movies are usually coded with what is called a country or regional code or a zone lock. The three names, however, mean the same thing. DVD movies are given a regional code and the code on the DVD movie must match that of the DVD player to be viewed. DVD region codes are numbered 1 through to 8; with the first six being specific geographical regions and seven and eight being reserved for special play arenas.
- Region 1 (R1): USA, Canada
- Region 2 (R2): Japan, Europe, South Africa, Middle East, Greenland
- Region 3 (R3): S.Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Parts of South East Asia
- Region 4 (R4): Australia, New Zealand, Latin America (including Mexico)
- Region 5 (R5): Eastern Europe, Russia, India, Africa
- Region 6 (R6): China
- Region 7 (R7): Reserved for unspecified special use
- Region 8 (R8): Reserved for cruise ships, airlines and so on
- All-region Discs (also called Region 0) are un-coded and can be played Worldwide
Perceptual computing is the ability for a computer to recognize what is going on around it. More specifically, the computer can perceive the... Read More »Apple Pay Promises to Strengthen Payment Security
Experts believe that Apple Pay and other competitive payment systems will be far more secure than cards, even cards equipped with EMV chips. Read More »The Great Data Storage Debate: Is Tape Dead?
Tape clearly is on the decline. But remember, legacy systems can hang for a shockingly long time. Read More »
A network is a group of two or more computer systems or devices, linked together to share resources, exchange files and electronic communications.... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »Webopedia Polls
The trend for the past two years has been for shoppers to spend more online during the holiday season. How do you typically shop for holiday... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »