Regional CodeDVD movies are usually coded with what is called a country or regional code or a zone lock. The three names, however, mean the same thing. DVD movies are given a regional code and the code on the DVD movie must match that of the DVD player to be viewed. DVD region codes are numbered 1 through to 8; with the first six being specific geographical regions and seven and eight being reserved for special play arenas.
- Region 1 (R1): USA, Canada
- Region 2 (R2): Japan, Europe, South Africa, Middle East, Greenland
- Region 3 (R3): S.Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Parts of South East Asia
- Region 4 (R4): Australia, New Zealand, Latin America (including Mexico)
- Region 5 (R5): Eastern Europe, Russia, India, Africa
- Region 6 (R6): China
- Region 7 (R7): Reserved for unspecified special use
- Region 8 (R8): Reserved for cruise ships, airlines and so on
- All-region Discs (also called Region 0) are un-coded and can be played Worldwide
Taking ownership of our own misjudgments or simple forgetfulness takes a healthy amount of humility and some honest self-assessment. Yet sometimes... Read More »Have We Become a World of Addicts?
It's hard to imagine our lives without smartphones. But people who suffer separation anxiety when they don't have their phones nearby may be in... Read More »13 Best Free Android Apps
From secure messaging to document editing, our top free must-have apps have been rated, reviewed and named the best free Android apps of 2015. Read More »
From wacky alarm clocks to lecture hall tools and after class entertainment, these Android apps are a good fit for a student's life and budget. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
A network is a group of two or more computer systems or devices, linked together to share resources, exchange files and electronic communications.... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »