Regional CodeDVD movies are usually coded with what is called a country or regional code or a zone lock. The three names, however, mean the same thing. DVD movies are given a regional code and the code on the DVD movie must match that of the DVD player to be viewed. DVD region codes are numbered 1 through to 8; with the first six being specific geographical regions and seven and eight being reserved for special play arenas.
- Region 1 (R1): USA, Canada
- Region 2 (R2): Japan, Europe, South Africa, Middle East, Greenland
- Region 3 (R3): S.Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Parts of South East Asia
- Region 4 (R4): Australia, New Zealand, Latin America (including Mexico)
- Region 5 (R5): Eastern Europe, Russia, India, Africa
- Region 6 (R6): China
- Region 7 (R7): Reserved for unspecified special use
- Region 8 (R8): Reserved for cruise ships, airlines and so on
- All-region Discs (also called Region 0) are un-coded and can be played Worldwide
It's not just your lawnmower and household tools that your neighbor won't return. Our top picks include everything from updating device firmware... Read More »Interesting Times: Transformation in the IT Channel
Business transformation will remain the buzzword of the moment as channel firms continue to assess the direction of their companies in the age of... Read More »What is a Virtual Private network (VPN)?
Companies and organizations will use a VPN to communicate confidentially over a public network and to send voice, video or data. Read More »
From wacky alarm clocks to lecture hall tools and after class entertainment, these Android apps are a good fit for a student's life and budget. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
A network is a group of two or more computer systems or devices, linked together to share resources, exchange files and electronic communications.... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »