(1) Short for Remote Program Load, RPL occurs where an image is stored on a bootable floppy disk or hard disk that remote computers use to start the system (or system prompt). The client computers, often called diskless workstations do not need the floppy or hard drive to function on the network. Remote Program Load is also used to describe the booting of a computer where the operating system is obtained and loaded into its memory by another server on the network.
(2) Short for Requested Privilege Level, RPL refers to a level of privilege within the architecture of a computer system where the most privileged layer is usually zero. Ring 0 not only has the most privileges but also is the layer which directly accesses the system's hardware.
See also Understanding Hardware-Assisted Virtualization.
(3) Short for Recognized Prior Learning it is an industry acknowledgement of a person's skills and knowledge obtained through learning programs outside of a formal education system. E-learning and distance education programs may be considered types of RPL.
From the widest view, everything that we include under the heading of mobile has irrevocably changed IT's relationship with the rest of the... Read More »Choosing an Enterprise Storage Implementation
When you deploy a new enterprise storage system, you must decide whether to design and build your own storage system or to utilize a cloud-based... Read More »Big Data Analytics Expert Predictions
In this Webopedia Did You Know...? article we look at three big data expert predictions for 2014. Read More »
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »Enterprise Storage Vendors
There's a number of vendors that sell enterprise storage hardware or offer cloud-based enterprise storage. View Webopedia's Enterprise storage... Read More »50 Cloud Computing Terms Defined
From planning a private cloud project to finding an online cloud storage provider, Webopedia's A-Z Cloud Computing Glossary will help you... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Enterprise Mobility Exchange results show continued growth and emphasis on mobility. CIOInsight breaks down the numbers here. »
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »