RF - radio frequency
Short for radio frequency, RF is any frequency within the electromagnetic spectrum associated with radio wave propagation. When an RF current is supplied to an antenna, an electromagnetic field is created that then is able to propagate through space. Many wireless technologies are based on RF field propagation.
These frequencies make up part of the electromagnetic radiation spectrum:
- Ultra-low frequency (ULF) -- 0-3 Hz
- Extremely low frequency (ELF) -- 3 Hz - 3 kHz
- Very low frequency (VLF) -- 3kHz - 30 kHz
- Low frequency (LF) -- 30 kHz - 300 kHz
- Medium frequency (MF) -- 300 kHz - 3 MHz
- High frequency (HF) -- 3MHz - 30 MHz
- Very high frequency (VHF) -- 30 MHz - 300 MHz
- Ultra-high frequency (UHF)-- 300MHz - 3 GHz
- Super high frequency (SHF) -- 3GHz - 30 GHz
- Extremely high frequency (EHF) -- 30GHz - 300 GHz
Radio frequency is also abbreviated as rf or r.f..
Tape clearly is on the decline. But remember, legacy systems can hang for a shockingly long time. Read More »Apple Pay Promises to Strengthen Payment Security
Experts believe that Apple Pay and other competitive payment systems will be far more secure than cards, even cards equipped with EMV chips. Read More »Internet of Things Shaping IT's Future
To make the IoT both work and pay off, IT is juggling upgrading and building app-centric networks, mapping out new data center architectures and... Read More »
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »Webopedia Polls
The trend for the past two years has been for shoppers to spend more online during the holiday season. How do you typically shop for holiday... Read More »How to Create a Desktop Shortcut to a Website
This Webopedia guide will show you how to create a desktop shortcut to a website using Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer (IE). Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »