RF - radio frequency
Short for radio frequency, RF is any frequency within the electromagnetic spectrum associated with radio wave propagation. When an RF current is supplied to an antenna, an electromagnetic field is created that then is able to propagate through space. Many wireless technologies are based on RF field propagation.
The following frequencies make up part of the electromagnetic radiation spectrum:
- Ultra-low frequency (ULF) -- 0-3 Hz
- Extremely low frequency (ELF) -- 3 Hz - 3 kHz
- Very low frequency (VLF) -- 3kHz - 30 kHz
- Low frequency (LF) -- 30 kHz - 300 kHz
- Medium frequency (MF) -- 300 kHz - 3 MHz
- High frequency (HF) -- 3MHz - 30 MHz
- Very high frequency (VHF) -- 30 MHz - 300 MHz
- Ultra-high frequency (UHF)-- 300MHz - 3 GHz
- Super high frequency (SHF) -- 3GHz - 30 GHz
- Extremely high frequency (EHF) -- 30GHz - 300 GHz
Radio frequency is also abbreviated as rf or r.f..
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
Like everything in technology, AI touches on so many other trends, like self-driving cars and automation, and Big Data and the Internet of Things... Read More »DevOp's Role in Application Security
As organizations rush to release new applications, security appears to be getting short shrift. DevSecOps is a new approach that holds promise. Read More »Slideshow: Easy Editorial SEO Tips to Boost Traffic
This slideshow reviews five easy on-page editorial SEO tips to help drive organic search engine traffic, including the page title, heading,... Read More »
Java is a high-level programming language. This guide describes the basics of Java, providing an overview of syntax, variables, data types and... Read More »Java Basics, Part 2
This second Study Guide describes the basics of Java, providing an overview of operators, modifiers and control Structures. Read More »The 7 Layers of the OSI Model
The Open System Interconnection (OSI) model defines a networking framework to implement protocols in seven layers. Use this handy guide to compare... Read More »