RF - radio frequency
Short for radio frequency, RF is any frequency within the electromagnetic spectrum associated with radio wave propagation. When an RF current is supplied to an antenna, an electromagnetic field is created that then is able to propagate through space. Many wireless technologies are based on RF field propagation.
These frequencies make up part of the electromagnetic radiation spectrum:
- Ultra-low frequency (ULF) -- 0-3 Hz
- Extremely low frequency (ELF) -- 3 Hz - 3 kHz
- Very low frequency (VLF) -- 3kHz - 30 kHz
- Low frequency (LF) -- 30 kHz - 300 kHz
- Medium frequency (MF) -- 300 kHz - 3 MHz
- High frequency (HF) -- 3MHz - 30 MHz
- Very high frequency (VHF) -- 30 MHz - 300 MHz
- Ultra-high frequency (UHF)-- 300MHz - 3 GHz
- Super high frequency (SHF) -- 3GHz - 30 GHz
- Extremely high frequency (EHF) -- 30GHz - 300 GHz
Radio frequency is also abbreviated as rf or r.f..
Often times technologies start as hype but with time become adopted. As a developer or technologist, it is worth reading the hype and knowing the... Read More »Microsoft Hyper-V Network Virtualization Q&A
The top 5 Hyper-V questions with answers provided by Nirmal Sharma, a MCSEx3, MCITP and Microsoft MVP in Directory Services. Read More »Storage Trends: Solid State and Software Defined
Solid state drives and software defined storage are two leading trends in the rapidly growing storage market. Read More »
Creating desktop shortcuts to a websites is useful. When you double-click the icon from your desktop it automatically launches the browser and... Read More »Flash Data Storage Vendor Trends
Although it is almost impossible to keep up with the pace of ongoing product releases, here are three recent highlights in the flash data storage... Read More »15 Important Big Data Facts for IT Professionals
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »