RF - radio frequency
Short for radio frequency, RF is any frequency within the electromagnetic spectrum associated with radio wave propagation. When an RF current is supplied to an antenna, an electromagnetic field is created that then is able to propagate through space. Many wireless technologies are based on RF field propagation.
These frequencies make up part of the electromagnetic radiation spectrum:
- Ultra-low frequency (ULF) -- 0-3 Hz
- Extremely low frequency (ELF) -- 3 Hz - 3 kHz
- Very low frequency (VLF) -- 3kHz - 30 kHz
- Low frequency (LF) -- 30 kHz - 300 kHz
- Medium frequency (MF) -- 300 kHz - 3 MHz
- High frequency (HF) -- 3MHz - 30 MHz
- Very high frequency (VHF) -- 30 MHz - 300 MHz
- Ultra-high frequency (UHF)-- 300MHz - 3 GHz
- Super high frequency (SHF) -- 3GHz - 30 GHz
- Extremely high frequency (EHF) -- 30GHz - 300 GHz
Radio frequency is also abbreviated as rf or r.f..