Parental ControlsIn Windows Vista, Parental Controls is a new feature designed to let parents set controls for their children's computer use. Parental Controls are located in the Control Panel in Vista. To use Parental Controls, you first need to set up a new user account. The Parental Controls will be associated with this user account, which is the account you will have your children log on to the computer with. You can also choose to use activity reports to view your children's online activities. Options available under Parental Controls include the following:
- Time Limits: setting specific time limits that will prevent logging on during certain times of the day
- Game Content: controls to access games where you can set an appropriate age level and content type you want to block
- Web Access: Allows you to restrict the Web sites that children visit and choose if you want to allow file transfers
- Program-specific Controls: allows you to keep your children from running specific programs on the computer
It's not just your lawnmower and household tools that your neighbor won't return. Our top picks include everything from updating device firmware... Read More »Interesting Times: Transformation in the IT Channel
Business transformation will remain the buzzword of the moment as channel firms continue to assess the direction of their companies in the age of... Read More »What is a Virtual Private network (VPN)?
Companies and organizations will use a VPN to communicate confidentially over a public network and to send voice, video or data. Read More »
From wacky alarm clocks to lecture hall tools and after class entertainment, these Android apps are a good fit for a student's life and budget. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
A network is a group of two or more computer systems or devices, linked together to share resources, exchange files and electronic communications.... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »