Parental ControlsIn Windows Vista, Parental Controls is a new feature designed to let parents set controls for their children's computer use. Parental Controls are located in the Control Panel in Vista. To use Parental Controls, you first need to set up a new user account. The Parental Controls will be associated with this user account, which is the account you will have your children log on to the computer with. You can also choose to use activity reports to view your children's online activities. Options available under Parental Controls include the following:
- Time Limits: setting specific time limits that will prevent logging on during certain times of the day
- Game Content: controls to access games where you can set an appropriate age level and content type you want to block
- Web Access: Allows you to restrict the Web sites that children visit and choose if you want to allow file transfers
- Program-specific Controls: allows you to keep your children from running specific programs on the computer
Taking ownership of our own misjudgments or simple forgetfulness takes a healthy amount of humility and some honest self-assessment. Yet sometimes... Read More »Have We Become a World of Addicts?
It's hard to imagine our lives without smartphones. But people who suffer separation anxiety when they don't have their phones nearby may be in... Read More »13 Best Free Android Apps
From secure messaging to document editing, our top free must-have apps have been rated, reviewed and named the best free Android apps of 2015. Read More »
From wacky alarm clocks to lecture hall tools and after class entertainment, these Android apps are a good fit for a student's life and budget. Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
A network is a group of two or more computer systems or devices, linked together to share resources, exchange files and electronic communications.... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »