POP - Post Office Protocol
(1) POP is short for Post Office Protocol, a protocol used to retrieve e-mail from a mail server. Most e-mail applications (sometimes called an e-mail client) use the POP protocol, although some can use the newer IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol).
(2) Pop is short for point of presence, an access point to the Internet. ISPs have typically multiple POPs. A point of presence is a physical location, either part of the facilities of a telecommunications provider that the ISP rents or a separate location from the telecommunications provider, that houses servers, routers, ATM switches and digital/analog call aggregators.
(3) Pop is short for Programmed Operator (POP), a pseudo-opcode in a virtual machine language executed by an interpretive program. The Programmed Operator instructions provide the ability to define an instruction set for efficient encoding by calling subprograms into primary memory.
(4) POP is short for picture-outside-picture POP is a feature found on some televisions that allows the user to divide the screen into two same-size pictures, enabling you to view a second program. Compare with picture-in-picture (PIP).
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »
Often times technologies start as hype but with time become adopted. As a developer or technologist, it is worth reading the hype and knowing the... Read More »Microsoft Hyper-V Network Virtualization Q&A
The top 5 Hyper-V questions with answers provided by Nirmal Sharma, a MCSEx3, MCITP and Microsoft MVP in Directory Services. Read More »Storage Trends: Solid State and Software Defined
Solid state drives and software defined storage are two leading trends in the rapidly growing storage market. Read More »
This Webopedia guide will show you how to create a desktop shortcut to a website using Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer (IE). Read More »Flash Data Storage Vendor Trends
Although it is almost impossible to keep up with the pace of ongoing product releases, here are three recent highlights in the flash data storage... Read More »15 Important Big Data Facts for IT Professionals
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »