(1) Not connected. For example, all printers have a switch that allows you to turn them offline. While the printer is offline, you can perform certain commands like advancing the paper (form feed), but you cannot print documents sent from the computer. The opposite of offline is online.
(2) Aside from its technical meaning, offline is used frequently in a more general sense to describe events that occur outside of a standard procedure. For example, if somebody at a meeting says "let's continue this discussion offline," it means "let's discuss it informally at another time."
The term is alternatively spelled as off-line.
Featured Partners Sponsored
- Increase worker productivity, enhance data security, and enjoy greater energy savings. Find out how. Download the “Ultimate Desktop Simplicity Kit” now.»
- Find out which 10 hardware additions will help you maintain excellent service and outstanding security for you and your customers. »
- Server virtualization is growing in popularity, but the technology for securing it lags. To protect your virtual network.»
- Before you implement a private cloud, find out what you need to know about automated delivery, virtual sprawl, and more. »