(1) In relational database design, the process of organizing data to minimize redundancy. Normalization usually involves dividing a database into two or more tables and defining relationships between the tables. The objective is to isolate data so that additions, deletions, and modifications of a fieldcan be made in just one table and then propagated through the rest of the database via the defined relationships.
There are three main normal forms, each with increasing levels of normalization:
There are additional normalization levels, such as Boyce Codd Normal Form (BCNF), fourth normal form (4NF) and fifth normal form (5NF). While normalization makes databases more efficient to maintain, they can also make them more complex because data is separated into so many different tables.
(2) In data processing, a process applied to all data in a set that produces a specific statistical property. For example, each expenditure for a month can be divided by the total of all expenditures to produce a percentage.
(3) In programming, changing the format of a floating-point numberso the left-most digit in the mantissa is not a zero.
- Check out eWeek's new Research Center, a central and comprehensive library of whitepapers, eBooks, eseminars, webcasts, and more from top industry brands and independent tech journalists »
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »
If hackers get their hands on your company's data, they can wreak havoc on customer relationships and cause tremendous damage to your brand and... Read More »Windows XP: Move Along, There's Nothing to See Here
After more than 12 years of holding the title of most popular operating system in the world, Windows XP is taking center stage for its final... Read More »Report: The Role of Big Data in the Marketing Industry
According to a new study from Infogroup Targeting Solutions, we can expect to see companies spend heavily on big data marketing initiatives in... Read More »
Although it is almost impossible to keep up with the pace of ongoing product releases, here are three recent highlights in the flash data storage... Read More »15 Important Big Data Facts for IT Professionals
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »Enterprise Storage Vendors
There's a number of vendors that sell enterprise storage hardware or offer cloud-based enterprise storage. View Webopedia's Enterprise storage... Read More »