Next-Generation NetworkA Next-Generation Network (NGN) is the term given to describe a telecommunications packet-based network that handles multiple types of traffic (such as voice, data, and multimedia). It is the convergence of service provider networks that includes the public switched telephone network (PSTN), the data network (the Internet), and, in some instances, the wireless network as well.
* The NGN system offers key convergent multimedia services using a shared network characterized by several essential elements:
- A unique and shared core network for all types of access and services.
- A core network architecture divided into three layers: Transport, Control and Services.
- Development of packet mode transport (IP flow transport in native IP, or on ATM in the short term with a progressive convergence to IP).
- Open and standardized interfaces between each layer, and in particular for the Control and Services layers in order to allow third parties to develop and create services independent of the network.
- Support for multiple applications (multimedia, real-time, transactional, total mobility) adaptable to the user and growing and varied capacities of access networks and terminals. * [Adapted from Moving towards the Next Generation Networks (NGN)]
Because nothing says "I Love You" Like an open source app. Read More »Guarding your Data against Cyber Attacks
In this new era of heightened stakes comes an increased need for a comprehensive security strategy. Let's take a look at how cyber-threats have... Read More »The Great Data Storage Debate: Is Tape Dead?
Tape clearly is on the decline. But remember, legacy systems can hang for a shockingly long time. Read More »
A network is a group of two or more computer systems or devices, linked together to share resources, exchange files and electronic communications.... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »Webopedia Polls
The trend for the past two years has been for shoppers to spend more online during the holiday season. How do you typically shop for holiday... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »