(1) Short for Methods for Testing and Specification.
(2) Short for Microsoft Transaction Server, a feature of the Microsoft Windows NT Server operating system that allows the development and deployment of server-centric applications built using Microsoft Component Object Model (COM) technologies.
(3) Short for Measured Telephone Service, a telecommunication service based on metered usage such as toll-based calling.
(4) Short for Multichannel Television Sound, the method of broadcasting stereo sound over ordinary analog TV channels. MTS reception capability is built into virtually all stereo TVs and HiFi VCRs.
(5) Abbreviation for Multithreaded Server, an Oracle server configuration that uses less memory. A dispatcher process enables many user processes to share a few server processes. While running in MTS mode, a user can still request a dedicated server process.
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
From cute electronic toys to VR gaming, here are 5 hot gifts to give to your special tech enthusiast this holiday season. Read More »What's Hot in Tech: AI Tops the List
Like everything in technology, AI touches on so many other trends, like self-driving cars and automation, and Big Data and the Internet of Things... Read More »DevOp's Role in Application Security
As organizations rush to release new applications, security appears to be getting short shrift. DevSecOps is a new approach that holds promise. Read More »
Java is a high-level programming language. This guide describes the basics of Java, providing an overview of syntax, variables, data types and... Read More »Java Basics, Part 2
This second Study Guide describes the basics of Java, providing an overview of operators, modifiers and control Structures. Read More »The 7 Layers of the OSI Model
The Open System Interconnection (OSI) model defines a networking framework to implement protocols in seven layers. Use this handy guide to compare... Read More »