ILMShort for information lifecycle management, the creation and management of a storage infrastructure and the data that it maintains. All information, or data, in a storage network has a specific lifecycle, from the time the information enters an organization��s system to the time it is archived or removed from the system. The information may have a finite lifecycle-where the data are eventually removed from a storage network when the information becomes outdated or no longer needed-or an infinite lifecycle if the information remains valuable to the organization retaining it.
In general, there are three stages in the information lifecycle:
- The creation and/or acquisition of the data �� information comes into the organization either by being created by one or more individuals or by being acquired through e-mails, faxes, letters, phone calls, etc.
- The publication of the data �� some information needs to be published, either in print form or on a company��s intranet or a public Web site.
- The retention and/or removal of the data �� some information must be archived for later use, and some information has a finite purpose and can be discarded once it has served its purpose or is no longer valuable to the organization.
The management of the information lifecycle involves keeping the data accessible to the users who need the information and determining how the information is stored based on how high of a priority the information has in the organization at any given moment. At each stage in the information��s lifecycle, the management infrastructure must determine the best software, hardware and storage medium required for the information at that stage, and how those factors differ as the data move through the lifecycle.
From the widest view, everything that we include under the heading of mobile has irrevocably changed IT's relationship with the rest of the... Read More »Choosing an Enterprise Storage Implementation
When you deploy a new enterprise storage system, you must decide whether to design and build your own storage system or to utilize a cloud-based... Read More »Big Data Analytics Expert Predictions
In this Webopedia Did You Know...? article we look at three big data expert predictions for 2014. Read More »
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »Enterprise Storage Vendors
There's a number of vendors that sell enterprise storage hardware or offer cloud-based enterprise storage. View Webopedia's Enterprise storage... Read More »50 Cloud Computing Terms Defined
From planning a private cloud project to finding an online cloud storage provider, Webopedia's A-Z Cloud Computing Glossary will help you... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Enterprise Mobility Exchange results show continued growth and emphasis on mobility. CIOInsight breaks down the numbers here. »
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »