FONFON is the name of a Wi-Fi community that uses social routing; its members share their wireless access and in return can freely use Wi-Fi when they find another Fonero's Access Point. These access points are provided by other FOM members. FON is a peer-to-peer approach to Wi-Fi. To offer a FON Access Point you must use a 54 Mbps wireless router, called La Fonera, which is available from FON.
Those who belong to the FON community are called "Foneros" Within the group of Foneros there are three basic levels of membership:
- Linuses: those who share their Wi-Fi and in return can get free Wi-Fi when using a FON Access Point.
- Aliens: those who do not share their own WiFi but pay a fee to use a Fonero Access Point.
- Bills: those who make money from their Wi-Fi. Linuses earn a percentage of the fees that Aliens pay to use FON.
There is some controversy about FON and its services that mainly arise around the legal issues associated with Internet Service Providers (ISPs). Some Internet users who are Linuses members may be breaking their ISP terms of agreement as their ISP may not allow its users to share their Wi-Fi connections or resell their bandwidth.
If hackers get their hands on your company's data, they can wreak havoc on customer relationships and cause tremendous damage to your brand and... Read More »Windows XP: Move Along, There's Nothing to See Here
After more than 12 years of holding the title of most popular operating system in the world, Windows XP is taking center stage for its final... Read More »Report: The Role of Big Data in the Marketing Industry
According to a new study from Infogroup Targeting Solutions, we can expect to see companies spend heavily on big data marketing initiatives in... Read More »
Creating desktop shortcuts to a websites is useful. When you double-click the icon from your desktop it automatically launches the browser and... Read More »Flash Data Storage Vendor Trends
Although it is almost impossible to keep up with the pace of ongoing product releases, here are three recent highlights in the flash data storage... Read More »15 Important Big Data Facts for IT Professionals
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Check out eWeek's new Research Center, a central and comprehensive library of whitepapers, eBooks, eseminars, webcasts, and more from top industry brands and independent tech journalists »
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »