DICOMShort for Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine, a standard in the field of medical informatics for exchanging digital information between medical imaging equipment (such as radiological imaging) and other systems, ensuring interoperability. The standard specifies:
- a set of protocols for devices communicating over a network
- the syntax and semantics of commands and associated information that can be exchanged using these protocols
- a set of media storage services and devices claiming conformance to the standard, as well as a file format and a medical directory structure to facilitate access to the images and related information stored on media that share information.
The standard was developed jointly by ACR (the American College of Radiology) and NEMA (the National Electrical Manufacturers Association) as an extension to an earlier standard for exchanging medical imaging data that did not include provisions for networking or offline media formats.
From the widest view, everything that we include under the heading of mobile has irrevocably changed IT's relationship with the rest of the... Read More »Choosing an Enterprise Storage Implementation
When you deploy a new enterprise storage system, you must decide whether to design and build your own storage system or to utilize a cloud-based... Read More »Big Data Analytics Expert Predictions
In this Webopedia Did You Know...? article we look at three big data expert predictions for 2014. Read More »
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »Enterprise Storage Vendors
There's a number of vendors that sell enterprise storage hardware or offer cloud-based enterprise storage. View Webopedia's Enterprise storage... Read More »50 Cloud Computing Terms Defined
From planning a private cloud project to finding an online cloud storage provider, Webopedia's A-Z Cloud Computing Glossary will help you... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Enterprise Mobility Exchange results show continued growth and emphasis on mobility. CIOInsight breaks down the numbers here. »
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »