Black Box Testing
Also known as functional testing. A software testing technique whereby the internal workings of the item being tested are not known by the tester. For example, in a black box test on a software design the tester only knows the inputs and what the expected outcomes should be and not how the program arrives at those outputs. The tester does not ever examine the programming codeand does not need any further knowledge of the program other than its specifications.
The advantages of this type of testing include:
- The test is unbiased because the designer and the tester are independent of each other.
- The tester does not need knowledge of any specific programming languages.
- The test is done from the point of view of the user, not the designer.
- Test cases can be designed as soon as the specifications are complete.
The disadvantages of this type of testing include:
- The test can be redundant if the software designer has already run a test case.
- The test cases are difficult to design.
- Testing every possible input stream is unrealistic because it would take a inordinate amount of time; therefore, many program paths will go untested.
For a complete software examination, both white boxand black box tests are required.
Perceptual computing is the ability for a computer to recognize what is going on around it. More specifically, the computer can perceive the... Read More »Apple Pay Promises to Strengthen Payment Security
Experts believe that Apple Pay and other competitive payment systems will be far more secure than cards, even cards equipped with EMV chips. Read More »The Great Data Storage Debate: Is Tape Dead?
Tape clearly is on the decline. But remember, legacy systems can hang for a shockingly long time. Read More »
A network is a group of two or more computer systems or devices, linked together to share resources, exchange files and electronic communications.... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »Webopedia Polls
The trend for the past two years has been for shoppers to spend more online during the holiday season. How do you typically shop for holiday... Read More »
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »