Black Box Testing
Also known as functional testing. A software testing technique whereby the internal workings of the item being tested are not known by the tester. For example, in a black box test on a software design the tester only knows the inputs and what the expected outcomes should be and not how the program arrives at those outputs. The tester does not ever examine the programming codeand does not need any further knowledge of the program other than its specifications.
The advantages of this type of testing include:
- The test is unbiased because the designer and the tester are independent of each other.
- The tester does not need knowledge of any specific programming languages.
- The test is done from the point of view of the user, not the designer.
- Test cases can be designed as soon as the specifications are complete.
The disadvantages of this type of testing include:
- The test can be redundant if the software designer has already run a test case.
- The test cases are difficult to design.
- Testing every possible input stream is unrealistic because it would take a inordinate amount of time; therefore, many program paths will go untested.
For a complete software examination, both white boxand black box tests are required.
Stay up to date on the latest developments in Internet terminology with a free weekly newsletter from Webopedia. Join to subscribe now.
We look at a few of the more troubling aspects of statistics and how these may be used to advance an agenda or skew the facts to someone's... Read More »29 Free Android Apps for Cash-Strapped Students
From wacky alarm clocks to lecture hall tools and after class entertainment, these Android apps are a good fit for a student's life and budget. Read More »Sharing Threat Intelligence
A growing number of startups make the sharing of threat intelligence a key part of their solutions. Read More »
The Open System Interconnection (OSI) model defines a networking framework to implement protocols in seven layers. Use this handy guide to compare... Read More »Network Fundamentals Study Guide
Networking fundamentals teaches the building blocks of modern network design. Learn different types of networks, concepts, architecture and... Read More »Computer Architecture Study Guide
This Webopedia study guide describes the different parts of a computer system and their relations. Read More »