The Pros and Cons of a Short URL
Things to Consider Before Using a URL Shortener
While short URLs make it easier to access pages at a long URL, there are a number of things you should consider before using these services, especially when promoting and relying on the short URLs for your Internet business or website.
The Negative Side to Short URLs
Service Closure and Disruption
If the URL shortening service is shut down or goes offline then your short URLs will not work . Service interruptions can happen but you can avoid disruptions by choosing a URL shortener service that has been around for a while and has a good reputation for actively monitoring its service for spam links.
Type of URL Redirect Being Used
Different URL shortening services use different HTTP redirects. The type of redirect is being used determines where the credit for the URL is given, and you want search engines to credit the short link to your site not the URL shortening site. The services that use a 301 permanent redirect are the best choice.
Consumer Privacy and Security
Short URLs can be used for malicious reasons; for example, to cloak the URL of a pornography website or to hide malicious spyware and downloads. Savvy Internet users simply might not click a short URL. In terms of security, remember that you have no control over the URL shortener service and should they fall victim to malicious hacking so will your short URLs.
Potential for URLs to be Blocked
Since short URLs can be used for directing users to malicious or spam sites some ISPs and Web sites will block short URLs so these are not seen by users.
Meaningless Characters in URL
Short URLs consist of “meaningless” characters. Users and search engines do not see useful words (keywords) in a short URL. For example our short URL http://bit.ly/3wMIVa tells you nothing about the page you will land on when you click the link. Look for a short URL that you can customize with a keyword.
On the Positive Side...
On the positive side, a URL shortener is useful and commonplace online today. It has disadvantages but it also has many advantages over using a long URL, especially for microblogging. Ultimately, just having a short URL to access your Web page tops the list of advantages, but it can also help with keeping links intact in email or text messages and it can be useful for SEO (search engine optimization) when you use a short URL service that allows you to choose keywords in the short URL.
Another positive note is that most URL shortener services provide detailed tracking and analytics for each shortened URL. This is useful to track how popular the short URL is and to see when it is published on social media sites.
List of 15 Short URL Tools & Services
Now that you know how to shorten a URL and are aware of the pros and cons of using a URL shortening service, here are 20 services you can try.
1. Beam.To: Free and easy to remember B2-Redirect URL.
2. Bit.ly: shrink tweet URLs to 20 characters, plus track and share the shrunken URLs.
3. doiop.com: Allows you to create a keyword in the short URL.
4. EasyURL: Spam-free URL Shortening for active easyDNS.com members in good standing.
5. Goo.gl: Google's own URL shortener. Offers short URLs, reliable service and good uptime.
6. is.gd: An "ethical" URL shortener with options to use your own keyword.
7. LNK.IN: Offers a short URL generator, domain forwarding or URL Redirection Services.
8. ShrinkURL: Instant redirection, custom URL (shrinkurl.us/mysite) and logging.
9. SnipURL: URL shortening with added features for posting to RSS.
10. Redirx.com: A basic URL shortener.
11. ReTwtme: shorten, share, and track URLs posted on Twitter and other online publishing spaces.
12. t.co: Twitter's own link service is used on all links included in Direct Message notification emails and can be used to shorten URLs -- but only those posted on Twitter.
13. TinyURL: shrink your URLs to 23 characters on any online publishing space.
14. Ulimit: domain names, Web redirection and email forwarding.
15. v.gd: automatically generates URLs that are typically 18 characters long.
Top 5 "URL" Related Questions on Webopedia
Page 2 of 2
Keeping track of big data trends, research and statistics gives IT professionals a solid foundation to plan big data projects. Here are 15... Read More »Enterprise Storage Vendors
There's a number of vendors that sell enterprise storage hardware or offer cloud-based enterprise storage. View Webopedia's Enterprise storage... Read More »50 Cloud Computing Terms Defined
From planning a private cloud project to finding an online cloud storage provider, Webopedia's A-Z Cloud Computing Glossary will help you... Read More »
- Enterprise Mobility Exchange results show continued growth and emphasis on mobility. CIOInsight breaks down the numbers here. »
- Watch Datamation's editor James Maguire moderate roundtable discussions with tech experts from companies such as Accenture, Dell, Blue Jeans Network, Microsoft and more »
From the widest view, everything that we include under the heading of mobile has irrevocably changed IT's relationship with the rest of the... Read More »Choosing an Enterprise Storage Implementation
When you deploy a new enterprise storage system, you must decide whether to design and build your own storage system or to utilize a cloud-based... Read More »Big Data Analytics Expert Predictions
In this Webopedia Did You Know...? article we look at three big data expert predictions for 2014. Read More »